RE: [soaplite] [RAMBLing question] multiple transports

  • Fisher, James
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2001
      You have lots of ways to solve this problem and no you are not crazy for
      using SOAP::Lite for this. Yes, you could do as you described in paragraph
      two. First, lets discuss the requirements on communicating with the server
      and client? Does the client have to sit there and wait for the forked child
      processes to finish and the parent process return a value to the client?
      (This is probably a bad idea) Can the client just send a message,
      disconnect, and wait for a message back? (In this case you would essentially
      have a client and a server on each box) The latter is the method I would
      choose, but if you have to choose the first method you may want to look into
      using sockets.

      The MORE SPECIFICALLY section
      >can SOAP::Lite servers accept requests on more that one transport? (ie.
      HTTP
      >for client/server and ::IO for server/child?)

      Yes, SOAP::Lite can send over multiple transports(by the way thanks Paul for
      adding the FTP and IO transports). Just read over the marketing material at
      www.soaplite.com.

      >so when the daemon starts, it
      >handles both types with one process?

      hmmm. I havent tried this so I could be wrong. I know anything is possible
      but, I dont see from the samples how you would do IO and HTTP on one
      server(a sample would be nice ... hint hint). But, you can combine other
      types(i.e. http, mod_ssl, cgi, asp. And obviously if you use the FTP
      transport you need and FTP servic as the server.

      JF

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2001
        Hi, James!

        You are absolutely right in your description. At least I have exactly
        the same understanding of this process. As for combining different
        services in one application there is two different points. First, all
        server capabilities just provide a frontend (hm, frontend on backend)
        for your module that will actually handle the request, and all of
        them (HTTP in all flavors, POP3, IO, TCP) could share the same
        library, so you need to worry only about implementation in one place
        and if you decide to add one more server, just run specific interface
        and point it to your module. But for now it'll be the different
        application/process and I don't see any value to put them all in one
        place.

        Different situation is on client side. I'd like to have async.
        communication and for THIS case I'd like to provide different options
        for getting response. However, I think you are right, there is not
        much sense for client application to wait for response from server
        (in async mode). So I'm thinking about implementing two-part scheme.
        If client needs to get response in async mode it'll start SOAP server
        locally (specifying transport, HTTP, POP3, TCP etc.) and all further
        communications will have with this server asking for response for
        particular request. Server will get response and keep it and will
        provide it when client will ask for it. This scheme allows to
        implement both sync. communications over async protocol (client will
        wait for response and poll local server for available answer) or pure
        async implementation, when client will come whenever it wants and ask
        for response, or even you can implement specific functionality and
        put it in server, so server will do something with response without
        client intervention.

        Just thoughts, but first version probable will be implemented in this
        way. I should let you have as many supported transports for async
        communications on client side as you want and add more by
        configuration. Any comments?

        Best wishes, Paul.

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/