Can't use string ("as_anyURI") as a subroutine ref

  • jmglov027
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2005
      Long time lurker, first time poster here. Hullo to the group!

      I have been using SOAP::Lite for about a year and a half now, first
      0.55, then 0.60. I just upgraded to 0.65_4 on a test box, and ran into
      major breakage. Making a SOAP call now results in the following fault:

      soap:Client (Can't use string ("as_anyURI") as a subroutine ref while
      "strict refs" in use at
      /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1076. )

      I am running SOAP::Lite under Apache + mod_perl. Looking at my
      application logfiles, I can see that the SOAP call succeeds as far as
      the application is concerned, so the issue must be with serialisation
      of the result. I looked at line 1076 of SOAP/Lite.pm, but without some
      deep digging, I don't think I am going to be able to figure this one
      out.

      Does this ring any bells with anyone else on this list? (Especially
      Byrne and Pavel/Paul?)

      TIA,
      Josh
    • jmglov027
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2005
        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "jmglov027" <josh.glover@t...> wrote:

        > I just upgraded to 0.65_4 on a test box, and ran into
        > major breakage. Making a SOAP call now results in the following fault:
        >
        > soap:Client (Can't use string ("as_anyURI") as a subroutine ref while
        > "strict refs" in use at
        > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1076. )

        No-one has any ideas on this one? How about general advise on how best
        to track this down (e.g. server-side debugging / tracing)?

        TIA,
        Josh
      • adavisirl
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2005
          Hi Josh,
          I'm sorry I can't help you yet, but I thought I'd let you know I'm
          getting the same fault, but it depends on what platform I run the
          client on.

          My SOAP::Lite server, version 0.65, is on a SUN Solaris UNIX box
          running perl 5.6.1. If I run the client on a similar SUN Solaris
          box, I do not get the fault - all runs fine.
          If I then run the same client on a Windows XP box, running perl 5.8.4,
          I get the fault.

          I'm trying to have the server return a URL as the body of a reply
          to a query by the client. The fault goes away if I return a string
          which is not a URL.

          Will let you know if I find a fix...
          Andrew

          --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "jmglov027" <josh.glover@t...> wrote:

          > Long time lurker, first time poster here. Hullo to the group!
          >
          > I have been using SOAP::Lite for about a year and a half now, first
          > 0.55, then 0.60. I just upgraded to 0.65_4 on a test box, and ran into
          > major breakage. Making a SOAP call now results in the following fault:
          >
          > soap:Client (Can't use string ("as_anyURI") as a subroutine ref while
          > "strict refs" in use at
          > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1076. )
          >
          > I am running SOAP::Lite under Apache + mod_perl. Looking at my
          > application logfiles, I can see that the SOAP call succeeds as far as
          > the application is concerned, so the issue must be with serialisation
          > of the result. I looked at line 1076 of SOAP/Lite.pm, but without some
          > deep digging, I don't think I am going to be able to figure this one
          > out.
          >
          > Does this ring any bells with anyone else on this list? (Especially
          > Byrne and Pavel/Paul?)
          >
          > TIA,
          > Josh
        • jmglov027
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2005
            --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "jmglov027" <josh.glover@t...> wrote:

            > --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "jmglov027" <josh.glover@t...> wrote:
            >
            > > I just upgraded to 0.65_4 on a test box, and ran into
            > > major breakage. Making a SOAP call now results in the following
            > > fault:
            > >
            > > soap:Client (Can't use string ("as_anyURI") as a subroutine ref
            > > while "strict refs" in use at
            > > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/SOAP/Lite.pm line 1076. )
            >
            > No-one has any ideas on this one? How about general advise on how best
            > to track this down (e.g. server-side debugging / tracing)?

            Thanks to a fellow list member who contacted me off-list about this, I
            was able to resolve this issue.

            The trick is to make sure both your client and server are running the
            same version of SOAP::Lite. Obviously, SOAP::Lite should be able to
            communicate with different versions of itself, since it can
            communicate with different SOAP implementations, but this work-around
            is acceptable to me.

            Cheers,
            Josh