SOAP::Lite usage of XML::SAX (possibly off-topic)

  • Joe Breeden
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2005

      I have been profiling a SOAP::Lite server running under Apache/mod_perl and noticed that many calls are made to functions in XML::SAX::PurePerl. From reading the perldoc for that module I get the idea that it may be slow. Mainly because it says so in the perldoc. Is this module being used on purpose by SOAP::Lite? Or can I install some C library that will be used by XML::SAX to do the parsing which could speed up my server?

      Thanks in advanced for your help.

      Joe

      "This is the kind of movie that ends up playing on the TV set over the bar in a better movie."

    • Duncan Cameron
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2005
        On 2005-03-30 at 18:48:04 Joe Breeden wrote:

        >I have been profiling a SOAP::Lite server running under
        >Apache/mod_perl
        >and noticed that many calls are made to functions in
        >XML::SAX::PurePerl.
        >From reading the perldoc for that module I get the idea that it may
        >be
        >slow. Mainly because it says so in the perldoc. Is this module being
        >used on purpose by SOAP::Lite? Or can I install some C library that
        >will
        >be used by XML::SAX to do the parsing which could speed up my server?

        S::L should not be using PurePerl. Are you sure that it is not a
        class that is called by SOAP::Lite ? Most likely some application
        code uses XML::SAX which has PurePerl as a default parser. You should
        already have XML::Parser installed for use by S::L so you may as well
        use the expat C library which it uses. There is a SAX interface to it:
        XML::SAX::Expat.

        Duncan
      • Joe Breeden
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
          Thanks for the help. I installed XML::SAX::Expat and saw a two-fold
          performance improvement on my server. I think S::L is using the XML::SAX
          mainly because the only XML processing anywhere in my app is being done
          by S::L. Again, thanks for the help.