Using Special Characters / turning base64 encoding off

  • Peter Mayr
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2005
      Hi,

      I have a question regarding 'special characters' in SOAP::Lite..

      If I want to transmit Data outside the normal charset, SOAP::Lite per
      default seems to use base64 Encoding..

      e.g. I search for the Author "gülkan"

      <searchClause xsi:type="xcql:searchClauseType">
      <index xsi:type="xsd:string">dc.creator</index>
      <relation xsi:type="xcql:relationType">
      <value xsi:type="xsd:string">all</value>
      </relation>
      <term xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:base64">Z/xsa2Fu</term>
      </searchClause>

      I am a bit confused.. ;-)
      Why is the string transformed? The encoding of the SOAP Envelope is set
      to UTF-8 and this characterset supports umlauts and the like..

      Is there a way to turn this off?

      Thanks in advance and greetings from Cologne..

      Peter
    • Duncan Cameron
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2005
        On 2005-03-30 at 14:57:33 Peter Mayr wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I have a question regarding 'special characters' in SOAP::Lite..
        >
        >If I want to transmit Data outside the normal charset, SOAP::Lite per
        >default seems to use base64 Encoding..
        >
        >e.g. I search for the Author "gülkan"
        >
        ><searchClause xsi:type="xcql:searchClauseType">
        ><index xsi:type="xsd:string">dc.creator</index>
        ><relation xsi:type="xcql:relationType">
        > <value xsi:type="xsd:string">all</value>
        ></relation>
        ><term xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:base64">Z/xsa2Fu</term>
        ></searchClause>
        >
        >I am a bit confused.. ;-)
        >Why is the string transformed? The encoding of the SOAP Envelope is set
        >to UTF-8 and this characterset supports umlauts and the like..
        >
        >Is there a way to turn this off?
        >

        >Thanks in advance and greetings from Cologne..
        >
        > Peter
        If you explitly type the field as a string then it will not be encoded as base64

        SOAP::Data->type(string => 'gülkan');

        But note that the value really must be valid UTF-8.

        Duncan
      • Peter Mayr
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
          Hi,

          Duncan Cameron wrote:
          > If you explitly type the field as a string then it will not be encoded as base64
          >
          > SOAP::Data->type(string => 'gülkan');
          >
          > But note that the value really must be valid UTF-8.
          Wow, it worked.. ;-)

          Thanks a lot!

          Mag. (FH) Peter Mayr (mayr@...)
          IT-Services Digitale Bibliothek (http://www.digibib.net)
          Hochschulbibliothekszentrum NRW (HBZ)
          Postfach 27 04 51, 50510 Koeln, Deutschland
          Telefon +49-221-40075-198, Fax +49-221-40075-190
          Jülicher Str. 6, 50674 Koeln, Deutschland