Re: [soaplite] httpd/mod_perl coredumps

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 7, 2001
      Hi, Juan!

      It might be this (documented in SOAP/Transport/HTTP.pm):

      =item Apache is crashing with segfaults

      If using SOAP::Lite (or XML::Parser::Expat) in combination with
      mod_perl
      causes random segmentation faults in httpd processes try to configure
      Apache with:

      RULE_EXPAT=no

      See http://archive.covalent.net/modperl/2000/04/0185.xml for more
      details and lot of thanks to Robert Barta (rho@...) for
      explaining this weird behavior.

      Hope it helps.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Philip Molter
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 7, 2001
        On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:57:45PM -0700, Paul Kulchenko wrote:
        : Hi, Juan!
        :
        : It might be this (documented in SOAP/Transport/HTTP.pm):
        :
        : =item Apache is crashing with segfaults
        :
        : If using SOAP::Lite (or XML::Parser::Expat) in combination with
        : mod_perl
        : causes random segmentation faults in httpd processes try to configure
        : Apache with:
        :
        : RULE_EXPAT=no
        :
        : See http://archive.covalent.net/modperl/2000/04/0185.xml for more
        : details and lot of thanks to Robert Barta (rho@...) for
        : explaining this weird behavior.
        :
        : Hope it helps.

        If that doesn't work, make sure you are using the latest version of
        perl (5.6.1). Version 5.6.0 had some issues with core dumps during
        complex evals, which is how a lot of mod_perl and, of course,
        SOAP::Lite code works.

        * Philip Molter
        * DataFoundry.net
        * http://www.datafoundry.net/
        * philip@...
      • Juan Julian Merelo Guervos
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 8, 2001
          Paul Kulchenko wrote:

          > Hi, Juan!
          >
          > It might be this (documented in SOAP/Transport/HTTP.pm):
          >
          > =item Apache is crashing with segfaults
          >
          > If using SOAP::Lite (or XML::Parser::Expat) in combination with
          > mod_perl
          > causes random segmentation faults in httpd processes try to configure
          > Apache with:
          >
          > RULE_EXPAT=no
          >
          > See http://archive.covalent.net/modperl/2000/04/0185.xml for more
          > details and lot of thanks to Robert Barta (rho@...) for
          > explaining this weird behavior.
          >
          > Hope it helps.

          Right-on! It's also documented in the AxKit manuals. Sorry for not
          reading the RTFM.

          jmerelo@... | jjmerelo@...
          JJ Merelo | http://geneura.ugr.es/~jmerelo
          Grupo Geneura ---- Univ. Granada | http://www.geneura.org/
        • Eric Baller
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 27, 2001
            I've been digging through the archive and this is the closest
            reference I can find.

            I'm also getting the same "unexpected EOF" errors but I don't own the
            server or the apache configuration.

            When I was on my own linux box, I was able to get everything I want
            to work properly (thanks to good documentation, support in this
            group, and some excellent software from Paul...)

            But when I move it up to my hosting company's machine (also linux), I
            get that "500..." error. I had to install a few modules since they
            didn't have SOAP::Lite or URI (I won't reveal who they are so as not
            to disgrace them ;^) but I got through that easy enough.

            Are there other approaches that might help besides asking them to
            change the apache configuration?

            Thanks,
            Eric

            > Hi, Juan!
            >
            > It might be this (documented in SOAP/Transport/HTTP.pm):
            >
            > =item Apache is crashing with segfaults
            >
            > If using SOAP::Lite (or XML::Parser::Expat) in combination with
            > mod_perl
            > causes random segmentation faults in httpd processes try to
            configure
            > Apache with:
            >
            > RULE_EXPAT=no
            >
            > See http://archive.covalent.net/modperl/2000/04/0185.xml for more
            > details and lot of thanks to Robert Barta (rho@b...) for
            > explaining this weird behavior.
            >
            > Hope it helps.
            >
            > Best wishes, Paul.
            >
            > --- Juan Julian Merelo Guervos <jmerelo@g...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > > I'm trying to use SOAP::Lite with Apache 1.3.20 and mod_perl
            1.25;
            > > SOAP::Lite version is 0.50. It coredumps with this simple setup:
            > >
            > > -- server
            > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
            > >
            > > use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
            > >
            > > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
            > > -> dispatch_to('Eval')
            > > -> handle;
            > >
            > > package Eval;
            > >
            > > sub test {
            > > my $class =shift;
            > > my $msg = shift;
            > > return "Hola $msg";
            > > }
            > > -- client
            > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
            > >
            > > use SOAP::Lite;
            > >
            > > my $soapResponse=
            SOAP::Lite

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 27, 2001
              Hi, Eric!

              If you configuration is similar to discussed one (apache+mod_perl)
              first thing you may try is to disable XML::Parser and use only
              XML::Parser::Lite. You shouldn't have such problem in this case. You
              need to specify in your script:

              use SOAP::Lite;
              $SOAP::Constants::DO_NOT_USE_XML_PARSER = 1;

              (notice that this is not an absolute solution, since Lite version of
              parser has some limitations and it's slower because it's pure Perl)

              Are you using CGI- or mod_perl-based SOAP server? You shouldn't have
              this problem running your server as a CGI application (if you do it's
              not because of apache and Expat). You may have it if you run SOAP
              server as Apache::Registry or mod_perl application.

              Server-side code could shed some light. Sorry can't be more helpful.

              Best wishes, Paul.

              http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
            • Eric Baller
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 28, 2001
                Actually, it doesn't look like I have to worry about mod_perl. The web
                server doesn't list it, but responds as follows:

                Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1.2 PHP/4.0.4pl1
                FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 Rewrit/1.1a

                I've tried to make sure it wasn't anything fancy I was doing, so I've worked
                my way down to some server side code taken from one of your examples (which
                were very helpful, by the way):
                --------- hi.cgi ----------
                #!/usr/bin/perl -Tw

                use lib '/home/eballer/lib';
                use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;

                SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
                -> dispatch_to('Demo')
                -> handle;

                package Demo;

                sub HelloWorld {
                return "Hello, world";
                }

                1;
                ------------------------------

                and the client code is:
                -------- hibye.pl ---------
                #!/usr/bin/perl -Tw

                use SOAP::Lite;

                my $s1=SOAP::Lite
                ->uri('Demo')
                ->proxy('http://localhost/cgi-bin/soap/hi.cgi');

                my $result = $s1->HelloWorld();

                unless ($result->fault) {
                print $result->result();
                } else {
                print join ', ',
                $result->faultcode,
                $result->faultstring;
                }
                ---------------------------

                That works fine on my local machine. Then I try replacing "localhost" with
                the web URL, I get the following error from the client:

                500 unexpected EOF before status line seen
                at ./hi.pl line 9

                On the server, I get an access log entry which looks like:
                ..."POST /cgi-bin/soap/hi.cgi HTTP/1.0" 200 - "-" "SOAP::Lite/Perl/0.51"

                Does that help more?

                Thanks!

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 28, 2001
                  Hi, Eric!

                  > 500 unexpected EOF before status line seen
                  > at ./hi.pl line 9
                  >
                  > On the server, I get an access log entry which looks like:
                  > ..."POST /cgi-bin/soap/hi.cgi HTTP/1.0" 200 - "-"
                  > "SOAP::Lite/Perl/0.51"
                  this one looks very suspicious. I saw "200 -" in my log file only
                  when I tested my CGI scripts with Apache::Registry without
                  "PerlSendHeader On". I just replied about it today:
                  [http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0111&L=soap&F=&S=&P=23882]

                  You may switch on debug info on client side to see real response from
                  server:

                  use SOAP::Lite on_debug => sub { print @_ };

                  If you use Apache::Registry then "PerlSendHeader On" may solve the
                  problem. If not, debug output may help.

                  Did you try to run the same script from cgi-bin/ directory instead of
                  cgi-bin/soap/? Did you try to hit that URL from webbrowser (you
                  should get "405 Bad Method" error)? Let me know if you still can't
                  fix the problem.

                  Best wishes, Paul.

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                • Eric Baller
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2001
                    Arghhh! Finally figured it out.

                    I still don't know *why*, but at least I figured out the cause: taint
                    checking on the server.

                    perl -Tw works on my local box, and I find it a useful check, but for
                    some reason it doesn't work on my virtually hosted domain. Both are
                    linux/apache and I didn't see anything funny in the httpd.conf.

                    Oh well. The fix was to change the first line of the .cgi file
                    from: #!/usr/bin/perl -Tw
                    to: #!/usr/bin/perl -w

                    Thank you Paul and group for your indulgence. I hope this at least
                    helps someone else some day...

                    Eric

                  • Chris Davies
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2001
                      Ah. Yes, well spotted!

                      Unfortunately you can't specify -T on the "command line" under mod_perl,
                      since perl's already running and it can't enable the taint checking except
                      when it starts. There are two solutions:
                      (a) don't run with -T
                      (b) enable perl taint checking as part of the mod_perl / Apache
                      configuration (no, I can't remember how, though)

                      Try this to see the error:

                      cat <<! >xxx.pl
                      #!/usr/bin/perl -wT
                      print "Hello, world\n";
                      !
                      perl xxx.pl

                      Chris
                      --
                      Chris Davies, Manheim Online
                      Tel. 0113 393-2004 Fax. 0870 444-0482. Mobile 07778 199069