Windows release for 0.65-beta2...?

  • h2ofaull
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
      Greetings!

      I have need for some of the new features / fixes that have been
      released in SOAP::Lite 0.65-beta2 - but I have need for this in
      Windows (unfortunately...)

      Is an updated Windows release in progress? Planned? Needed? I don't
      see any mention of this on soaplite.com.

      I don't know anything about what is required to port S::L to Windows,
      aside from the fact that with a small amount of effort I was not able
      to get the UNIX dist to compile under Windows or Cygwin.

      If no release for Windows is planned for the near future, I'd be
      willing to at least look into doing the port. If anyone has
      information on this, please mail (the list or just me) at your
      earliest convenience.

      Kind Regards,
      -Brian
    • Duncan Cameron
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2005
        --- h2ofaull <h2ofaull@...> wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > I have need for some of the new features / fixes that have been
        > released in SOAP::Lite 0.65-beta2 - but I have need for this in
        > Windows (unfortunately...)
        >
        > Is an updated Windows release in progress? Planned? Needed? I
        > don't
        > see any mention of this on soaplite.com.

        SOAP::Lite is Perl only, so it is not dependent on any OS. The install
        works quite happily on Windows.

        > I don't know anything about what is required to port S::L to Windows,
        > aside from the fact that with a small amount of effort I was not able
        > to get the UNIX dist to compile under Windows or Cygwin.
        You don't *compile* anything, just install.
        What problems were you getting? Note that some of the tests may fail
        depending on which components you select.

        Duncan

      • h2ofaull
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2005
          Sorry for the wrong wording - it was late. :) I surely didn't mean
          "compile", rather "install".

          Thank you again for the help! I still don't understand why some of
          the tarballs are labeled "Windows" and some "UNIX/Linux" if they're
          the same... but everything installed and works the same as in Linux -
          all I needed to do was use "nmake" instead of make. Details of why I
          made this mistake are below.

          If all of the S::L bundles are the same (except version), why are some
          labeled Windows vice UNIX distribution? The latest distribution
          (0.65-beta2 is labeled "UNIX/Linux" and the most recent one labeled
          Windows is version 0.55 - I should have checked further, but I
          believed that they were different. I've run into a lot of little
          things that are different with Perl in Windows vice UNIX, so being
          different was not surprising to me.

          My problem was that I used the Cygwin make rather than nmake. I found
          this site
          http://johnbokma.com/perl/make-for-windows.html

          which reduced my inhibitions about using nmake. Downloaded and
          installed nmake, then unpacked and installed the "UNIX/Linux"
          0.65-beta2 S::L and everything worked fine. Sorry for the spam, I
          should have tried a little bit harder.

          The rest of this note is info for newbies (like me) that may be
          searching for error messages and stuff (like me. :)

          When I used make, which I assumed would work, I got the following errors:

          when doing `perl Makefile.PL`,
          Warning: Use of "require" without parentheses is ambiguous at (eval
          35) line 1.
          Warning: Use of "require" without parentheses is ambiguous at (eval
          36) line 1.

          Not fatal, looked fine. Ignored it.

          when doing `make`, I got the following:
          Makefile:425: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

          Anyway, looked at it, got confused, gave up.

          I saw the docs that said "use nmake" but I already had make, so I
          assumed it should have worked - it didn't. For any of you struggling
          with this - struggle no longer. Go to the URL above, follow links to
          download nmake from Microsoft... then follow the instructions like I
          should have. :)

          Thanks again,

          -brian

          --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Duncan Cameron