[RAMBLing question] multiple transports

  • Dave Moore
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2001
      hi.

      not only am I new to SOAP::Lite, im new to SOAP, xml, RPC etc, so im not
      quite sure even how to pose my question, no less get my terminolgy straight.
      my question is this,

      lets say im making an app, that that has 3+ components (a server with
      clients, and spawned child processes on the server). the clients call
      methods on the server, and it responds with apropriate data. this i can
      envision in SOAP::Lite. but, where I loose it, is here. the server has to
      fork children that do its bidding (file transfering...to be exact) for it.
      now, i need these children to be able to communicate with server *and*
      client and vice vice versa.i cant seem to wrap my head around how to
      implement it.

      i guess my question is this. is SOAP ok/good/meant for this? should I be
      using something more uhh...something else? does this model sound insane? do
      these pants make me look fat?

      MORE SPECIFICALLY

      can SOAP::Lite servers accept requests on more that one transport? (ie. HTTP
      for client/server and ::IO for server/child?) so when the daemon starts, it
      handles both types with one process?

      dave

      (this email probably should have been revised or edited, but im no state to
      attempt something like that)
    • Fisher, James
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2001
        You have lots of ways to solve this problem and no you are not crazy for
        using SOAP::Lite for this. Yes, you could do as you described in paragraph
        two. First, lets discuss the requirements on communicating with the server
        and client? Does the client have to sit there and wait for the forked child
        processes to finish and the parent process return a value to the client?
        (This is probably a bad idea) Can the client just send a message,
        disconnect, and wait for a message back? (In this case you would essentially
        have a client and a server on each box) The latter is the method I would
        choose, but if you have to choose the first method you may want to look into
        using sockets.

        The MORE SPECIFICALLY section
        >can SOAP::Lite servers accept requests on more that one transport? (ie.
        HTTP
        >for client/server and ::IO for server/child?)

        Yes, SOAP::Lite can send over multiple transports(by the way thanks Paul for
        adding the FTP and IO transports). Just read over the marketing material at
        www.soaplite.com.

        >so when the daemon starts, it
        >handles both types with one process?

        hmmm. I havent tried this so I could be wrong. I know anything is possible
        but, I dont see from the samples how you would do IO and HTTP on one
        server(a sample would be nice ... hint hint). But, you can combine other
        types(i.e. http, mod_ssl, cgi, asp. And obviously if you use the FTP
        transport you need and FTP servic as the server.

        JF

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2001
          Hi, James!

          You are absolutely right in your description. At least I have exactly
          the same understanding of this process. As for combining different
          services in one application there is two different points. First, all
          server capabilities just provide a frontend (hm, frontend on backend)
          for your module that will actually handle the request, and all of
          them (HTTP in all flavors, POP3, IO, TCP) could share the same
          library, so you need to worry only about implementation in one place
          and if you decide to add one more server, just run specific interface
          and point it to your module. But for now it'll be the different
          application/process and I don't see any value to put them all in one
          place.

          Different situation is on client side. I'd like to have async.
          communication and for THIS case I'd like to provide different options
          for getting response. However, I think you are right, there is not
          much sense for client application to wait for response from server
          (in async mode). So I'm thinking about implementing two-part scheme.
          If client needs to get response in async mode it'll start SOAP server
          locally (specifying transport, HTTP, POP3, TCP etc.) and all further
          communications will have with this server asking for response for
          particular request. Server will get response and keep it and will
          provide it when client will ask for it. This scheme allows to
          implement both sync. communications over async protocol (client will
          wait for response and poll local server for available answer) or pure
          async implementation, when client will come whenever it wants and ask
          for response, or even you can implement specific functionality and
          put it in server, so server will do something with response without
          client intervention.

          Just thoughts, but first version probable will be implemented in this
          way. I should let you have as many supported transports for async
          communications on client side as you want and add more by
          configuration. Any comments?

          Best wishes, Paul.

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/