Exclude instance variables from serialization

  • Theo Petersen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi list, sorry if this is a naive question. I'm new to SOAP::Lite.

      I have an app with an array of classes that hold/display enterprise
      data and I'm providing a SOAP interface in addition to plain HTML
      pages. I was able to create a service for my objects and demonstrate
      remote method calls, but ran into problems when an instance method
      held onto a reference to another object (the secondary class). In
      that case, SOAP::Lite went into an infinite loop serializing what I
      assume are circular references in the secondary class.

      I can live without the reference to the secondary class, and got
      around the problem by dropping the reference before the method
      returned. But I've got quite a lot of classes and methods, and more
      in the queue, and I'd like to handle this at a lower level.

      The documentation doesn't provide an obvious (to frustrated me) way to
      have my objects clean themselves up before serialization. Did I miss
      it? Is there another way I could do this, preferably in the
      superclass of the objects?

      Regards,
      ..Theo