make a request start an application on the SOAP server

  • ublit
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2005
      Hi,
      I am using SOAP::Lite module with Apache webserver on a windows
      machine. In my CGI script on the server side, I provided a sub-
      routine called startNotepad(), whose implementation is
      sub startNotepad {
      system("notepad.exe");
      }

      From the client side, I am trying to call this using the
      SOAP::Lite object. All I see is that the notepad.exe has started.
      But the problem is that it is running in the background (I see it in
      the task manager). My question is "Do I have to do anything to have
      notepad application not running as a background task?"

      Would someone please respond? Any kind response will be
      appreciated.
    • John Michael Zorko
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2005
        Ublit,

        I used to a lot of Win32 (and OS/2 and Win16 before that) C++
        development, before I moved to doing more cross-platform stuff. I
        still do Windows when I need to, though.

        Anyway, there are a couple of things you can try:

        1. create a Perl module that uses the Win32 ::CreateProcess() API,
        which allows you to specify the z-order
        2. try "start notepad.exe" instead of "notepad.exe"
        3. after starting notepad, use a Perl module that allows you to find
        Win32 windows and bring the notepad window to the top

        There may be easier ways, but these are things to try.

        Regards,

        John

        Hi,
        > I am using SOAP::Lite module with Apache webserver on a windows
        > machine. In my CGI script on the server side, I provided a sub-
        > routine called startNotepad(), whose implementation is
        > sub startNotepad {
        > system("notepad.exe");
        > }
        >
        > From the client side, I am trying to call this using the
        > SOAP::Lite object. All I see is that the notepad.exe has started.
        > But the problem is that it is running in the background (I see it in
        > the task manager). My question is "Do I have to do anything to have
        > notepad application not running as a background task?"
        >
        > Would someone please respond? Any kind response will be
        > appreciated.

        Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
        New album, "Touch", available now
        http://www.magnatune.com/artists/falling_you
      • ublit
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2005
          Hi John,
          As suggested I tried using "start notepad.exe" inside the
          function, but still it didn't help. Also tried with
          Win32::CreateProcess(). May be I should mention that notepad.exe is
          only visible in the task manager but no windows are displayed on the
          screen. I am not sure how to get the application to run in the
          foreground. Can you please give me some instructions on how to get a
          Window to the front in Perl? My ultimate goal is to use
          Win32::GuiTest package to do some application installation through
          the API support on the SOAP server.

          Your guidance would be well appreciated and thanks a lot.

          --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, John Michael Zorko <jmzorko@m...>
          wrote:

          > Ublit,
          >
          > I used to a lot of Win32 (and OS/2 and Win16 before that) C++
          > development, before I moved to doing more cross-platform stuff. I
          > still do Windows when I need to, though.
          >
          > Anyway, there are a couple of things you can try:
          >
          > 1. create a Perl module that uses the Win32 ::CreateProcess() API,
          > which allows you to specify the z-order
          > 2. try "start notepad.exe" instead of "notepad.exe"
          > 3. after starting notepad, use a Perl module that allows you to
          find
          > Win32 windows and bring the notepad window to the top
          >
          > There may be easier ways, but these are things to try.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > John
          >

          > Hi,
          > > I am using SOAP::Lite module with Apache webserver on a
          windows
          > > machine. In my CGI script on the server side, I provided a sub-
          > > routine called startNotepad(), whose implementation is
          > > sub startNotepad {
          > > system("notepad.exe");
          > > }
          > >
          > > From the client side, I am trying to call this using the
          > > SOAP::Lite object. All I see is that the notepad.exe has started.
          > > But the problem is that it is running in the background (I see
          it in
          > > the task manager). My question is "Do I have to do anything to
          have
          > > notepad application not running as a background task?"
          > >
          > > Would someone please respond? Any kind response will be
          > > appreciated.
          >
          > Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
          > New album, "Touch", available now
          > http://www.magnatune.com/artists/falling_you
        • naga_cit
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2005
            I faced the same problem with CGI based SOAP scripts.
            Switch to 'HTTP Daemon' (look at the user guide for example codes).
            In this case you dont need to have webserver running in your server
            and your application testing will also work fine.

            Thanks,
            Nagarajan