SOAP calls and timeouts

  • jmzorko@mac.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
      Hello, all ...

      I've built a couple of SOAP components that act as clients and servers
      for each other, using the HTTP::Daemon transport (specifically, a
      subclass I did that uses IO::Select so that handle() doesn't hang) so
      the components are standalone and don't require a web server.
      Everything seems to be working well enough, but i'm wondering about
      timeouts i.e. if a client calls a method on a SOAP server, and that
      method is busy for a long long long long (say it with me now) long long
      time, the client seems to hang until the server is available. This
      isn't necessarily a bad thing (and it makes sense because these
      components are single-threaded), but I would like to know if I can
      specify a timeout, so the call to the SOAP function would return an
      error I could look for if the server wasn't available for n seconds.

      Regards,

      John

      Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
      New album, "Touch", available now
      http://www.magnatune.com/artists/falling_you
    • Bryce Harrington
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2005