RE: [soaplite] interesting (i hope) question about passing data structures...

  • Mike Clark
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2001
      Thanks Paul, we've just placed the example perl code in http://www.salcentral.com/help/msgservice.htm

      Mike
      @Lucin
      [ http://www.salcentral.com ] Worlds FIRST Web Services search engine
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Paul Kulchenko [mailto:paulclinger@...]
      Sent: 04 June 2001 19:01
      To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [soaplite] interesting (i hope) question about passing data structures...

      Hi, Jason!

      > additional functionally. the concern that been raised is that of
      > what
      > happens when a soap server running iis is called by a soap client
      > running
      > perl and the called function called returns an object? how does
      Good question. Chances are that you won't have a problems if object
      is modelled as struct on wire. In general, it depends only on wire
      representation and not on toolkit on the other side. SOAP::Lite (as
      well as many others) encode objects as struct, providing proper type
      and (specified by user) namespace. Though I didn't do any tests with
      Microsoft toolkits, I did tests with ApacheSOAP and those are
      included in package distribution (examples/oo-apache.pl).

      > in perl). how does it translate from one languages implementation
      > of a data structure to another?
      It's not a question of translation between languages, it's double
      translation language->wire->language, so all that we have is
      representation on wire. Take a Perl object that is created as blessed
      ARRAYREF instead of HASHREF. It'll be serialized as typed array, and
      deserialized as blessed ARRAYREf by SOAP::Lite, but I doubt that
      it'll be properly deserialized by other toolkits (unless you provide
      custom deserializer, and even in that case you'll have a problems
      modelling it with object in Java, for example). The same thing is
      true about PHP arrays and many other types. Answer can be given only
      considering how they represend datastructures on wire. More
      information on interop with other toolkits as well as full wiredumps
      is available on http://interop.soaplite.com/. We have echoStructArray
      test as well as other array tests and PHP toolkit is also presented
      there. Hope this information helps and let me know if you have any
      other questions.

      Best wishes, Paul.