Cooperative Multitasking with Soap Lite

  • loren_lang
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2005
      I have a project I am writing in perl. It's a daemon that
      monitors various serial ports for data and responds to them.
      It also has to maintain the current state of the attached
      devices running. Now I am trying to write a web based
      front-end to it. I was thinking of a seperate perl script
      that uses some kind of rpc mechanism to talk to the daemon.
      Soap Lite seems like the closest thing to what I want for the
      interface, but I can't figure out how to integrate a soap
      server with the daemon I've already written. I was thinking
      about using the http daemon with a custom port number and
      having the cgi script access it. My problem is that soap-lite
      doesn't seem to support cooperative multitasking with
      other parts of my daemon; once I call handle(), I've lost
      control of the script. My main loop currently starts with
      a call to select(), then dispatches to the appropriate
      function depending on which file descriptor is talking. I'd
      like to add to that list the descriptors for the soap socket
      so I can respond to incoming data from the serial ports as
      well as soap calls.
    • Mike Schroeder
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2005
        I'm sounding like a broken record about POE, but have you considered
        using POE::Component::Server::SOAP ?