Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon handle() sub ...

  • Mike Schroeder
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
      If you aren't familiar with POE, consider using it.

      Worst case, you can probably scavenge some code from the POE module that
      does what you are asking for:

      http://search.cpan.org/~apocal/POE-Component-Server-SOAP-1.06/lib/POE/Component/Server/SOAP.pm

      John Michael Zorko wrote:

      >Hello, all ...
      >
      >I need to be able to have SOAP servers that are able to do other things while waiting for
      >SOAP calls. Yet, the handle() method for the SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon waits on
      >accept() and doesn't come back, in effect stopping the server from doing anything else
      >until a SOAP call arrives. Instead of:
      >
      >$server->handle;
      >
      >I want:
      >
      >while ( $server->handle )
      >{
      > do_something_else();
      >}
      >
      >... yet I still want to run the server standalone (Transport::Daemon). My questions are:
      >
      >1. Is there something easy that I can do without subclassing SOAP::Transport::HTTP::
      >Daemon? Forking a process that acted as a client to itself and calling a SOAP method to
      >do_something_else() is out -- I tried that, and it worked, but it's just _so_ nasty and opens
      >up all kinds of other possible bad things ...
      >
      >2. If no, then I want to use select() (or IO::Select()) to override the handle() method to make
      >it non-blocking. Any insight on how to do this?
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >John
      >
      >Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
      >http://www.magnatune.com/artists/falling_you
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Alasdair Allan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
        John Michael Zorko wrote:
        > 1. Is there something easy that I can do without subclassing
        > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::
        > Daemon?

        No, but that's pretty easy to do...

        > Forking a process that acted as a client to itself and calling a SOAP
        > method to
        > do_something_else() is out -- I tried that, and it worked, but it's
        > just _so_ nasty and opens
        > up all kinds of other possible bad things ...

        How about threads then? See,

        http://www.astro.ex.ac.uk/people/aa/pages/computing/cookie_daemon.html

        Al.