Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::SSL ???

Expand Messages
  • laurentf_ml
    ... because ... daemon ... issue ... Hello Bryce, I m happy to learn that I m not alone :-) here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that
      because
      > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in
      daemon
      > mode.
      >
      > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get this
      issue
      > solved.

      Hello Bryce,

      I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)

      here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :

      http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
      .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm

      which has this interesting option :

      ssl => 0|1 - Run a secure server using SSL. You must
      specify ssl_key, ssl_cert, and ssl_ca if
      set this to 1.
      ( Default: 0 )


      (but how to do the "glue" with Soaplite ?)

      and

      http://search.cpan.org/~behroozi/HTTP-Daemon-SSL-1.01/SSL.pm

      by looking in Soaplite source code, I ask myself if this one couldn't
      be added in HTTP.pm ( as a "SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::SSL" )



      ... but it's probably beyond my perl capabilities !


      regards,
      Laurent F.



      > Bryce
      >
      > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I would like to write a little stand-alone soap server, which is
      very
      > > easy with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon, but, for security
      reasons, I
      > > would like to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
      > >
      > > Is something like this possible (whithout apache) ?
      > >
      > > regards,
      > > Laurent F.
    • Hostile
      I think it should be possible in theory to do a https server with certificates. I did some reading into it a few months back. I soon decided I would rather
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        I think it should be possible in theory to do a https server with
        certificates. I did some reading into it a few months back. I soon
        decided I would rather use Apache and that I would not put a perl
        based service facing the world.

        If you read into the transport stuff, you can write your own. I
        suspect you can use HTTP::Daemon::SSL and somehow set the certificate
        values etc either by passing the right arguements when creating the
        object or by setting %ENV variables (prolly something do to with
        Crypt::SSLeay).

        I have the Orielly book, that gave me some ideas. Its been too long
        since I looked at this but if it is of any use I have attached some
        code I played with.

        The code I have attached, I just copied the HTTP transport and
        replaced HTTP::Daemon with HTTP::Daemon::SSL

        HTTP::Daemon::SSL does not fork for you, hence the prefork version
        also attached.

        Cheers :)

        Martin


        On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:57:42 -0000, laurentf_ml <laurentf_ml@...> wrote:
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that
        > because
        > > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in
        > daemon
        > > mode.
        > >
        > > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get this
        > issue
        > > solved.
        >
        > Hello Bryce,
        >
        > I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)
        >
        > here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
        >
        > http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
        > .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm
        >
        > which has this interesting option :
        >
        > ssl => 0|1 - Run a secure server using SSL. You must
        > specify ssl_key, ssl_cert, and ssl_ca if
        > set this to 1.
        > ( Default: 0 )
        >
        > (but how to do the "glue" with Soaplite ?)
        >
        > and
        >
        > http://search.cpan.org/~behroozi/HTTP-Daemon-SSL-1.01/SSL.pm
        >
        > by looking in Soaplite source code, I ask myself if this one couldn't
        > be added in HTTP.pm ( as a "SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::SSL" )
        >
        > ... but it's probably beyond my perl capabilities !
        >
        > regards,
        > Laurent F.
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > > Bryce
        > >
        > > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
        > > > Hello,
        > > >
        > > > I would like to write a little stand-alone soap server, which is
        > very
        > > > easy with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon, but, for security
        > reasons, I
        > > > would like to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
        > > >
        > > > Is something like this possible (whithout apache) ?
        > > >
        > > > regards,
        > > > Laurent F.
        >
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
      • Bryce Harrington
        ... Yeah I had scanned through the entire archives of this list looking for an answer, and I was surprised to see the question asked a number of times
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
          > I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)

          Yeah I had scanned through the entire archives of this list looking for
          an answer, and I was surprised to see the question asked a number of
          times previously. Unfortunately I didn't spot a solid answer. It
          appears to be a still-unsolved problem.

          > here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
          >
          > http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
          > .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm
          >
          > which has this interesting option :
          >
          > ssl => 0|1 - Run a secure server using SSL. You must
          > specify ssl_key, ssl_cert, and ssl_ca if
          > set this to 1.
          > ( Default: 0 )
          >
          >
          > (but how to do the "glue" with Soaplite ?)
          >
          > and
          >
          > http://search.cpan.org/~behroozi/HTTP-Daemon-SSL-1.01/SSL.pm
          >
          > by looking in Soaplite source code, I ask myself if this one couldn't
          > be added in HTTP.pm ( as a "SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::SSL" )
          >
          > ... but it's probably beyond my perl capabilities !

          Cool, I've passed this along to Kees, who has been looking into this a
          bit with me.

          For us the issue is just lack of sufficient time to research into what
          needs to be done. Coding it up (or explaining how to code it) should be
          straightforward. Kees, can you weigh in with your thoughts on what's
          needed for this?

          Bryce
        • Bryce Harrington
          ... Hi Laurent, We think we ve figured out how to handle the SSL capabilities. In our daemon we pass the following options into SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon:
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
            > > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that
            > because
            > > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in
            > daemon
            > > mode.
            > >
            > > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get this
            > issue
            > > solved.
            >
            > Hello Bryce,
            >
            > I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)
            >
            > here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
            >
            > http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
            > .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm
            >

            Hi Laurent,

            We think we've figured out how to handle the SSL capabilities. In our
            daemon we pass the following options into SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon:


            my %args;
            $args{'LocalPort'} = 8081;
            $args{'ReuseAddr'} = 1;
            $args{'Listen'} = 5;
            if ($opt_ssl) {
            $args{'SSL_key_file'} = $opt_ssl_key_file;
            $args{'SSL_cert_file'} = $opt_ssl_cert_file;
            }

            my $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
            -> new ( %args )
            -> dispatch_to('WebService::TestSystem')
            -> options({compress_threshold => 10000})
            ;

            print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, "\n";
            $daemon->handle;


            Hope this helps,
            Bryce
          • h2ofaull
            Greetings, I m sure this is a straightforward problem, but I ve searched the soaplite archives, and 3 suggested books on the subject to no avail... and it
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Greetings,

              I'm sure this is a straightforward problem, but I've searched the
              soaplite archives, and 3 suggested books on the subject to no avail...
              and it seems to be related to this thread.

              The code posted previously appears to be the server-side of the SSL
              certificate issue -- is there a simple solution for the client side?
              I have the .CER certificate file, but I can't seem to "install" it or
              figure out how to reference it in my client when I'm connecting to the
              server.

              Has anyone done this and could tell me how to reference or "install"
              my certificate client-side for a HTTPS connection with need for a
              certificate?

              Again, I hope this is simple! Thanks for your time...
              -brian


              --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Bryce Harrington <bryce@o...> wrote:
              > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
              > > > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that
              > > because
              > > > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in
              > > daemon
              > > > mode.
              > > >
              > > > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get
              this
              > > issue
              > > > solved.
              > >
              > > Hello Bryce,
              > >
              > > I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)
              > >
              > > here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
              > >
              > > http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
              > > .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm
              > >
              >
              > Hi Laurent,
              >
              > We think we've figured out how to handle the SSL capabilities. In
              our
              > daemon we pass the following options into SOAP::
              Transport::HTTP::Daemon:
              >
              >
              > my %args;
              > $args{'LocalPort'} = 8081;
              > $args{'ReuseAddr'} = 1;
              > $args{'Listen'} = 5;
              > if ($opt_ssl) {
              > $args{'SSL_key_file'} = $opt_ssl_key_file;
              > $args{'SSL_cert_file'} = $opt_ssl_cert_file;
              > }
              >
              > my $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
              > -> new ( %args )
              > -> dispatch_to('WebService::TestSystem')
              > -> options({compress_threshold => 10000})
              > ;
              >
              > print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, "\n";
              > $daemon->handle;
              >
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              > Bryce
            • h2ofaull
              Sorry - to be clear, I have a new Certificate Authority (CA) certificate... I have installed this for my browser, but I think Perl isn t finding it. Thanks
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 12, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                Sorry - to be clear, I have a new Certificate Authority (CA)
                certificate... I have installed this for my browser, but I think Perl
                isn't finding it.

                Thanks again! :)

                -brian


                --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "h2ofaull" <h2ofaull@y...> wrote:
                >
                > Greetings,
                >
                > I'm sure this is a straightforward problem, but I've searched the
                > soaplite archives, and 3 suggested books on the subject to no avail...
                > and it seems to be related to this thread.
                >
                > The code posted previously appears to be the server-side of the SSL
                > certificate issue -- is there a simple solution for the client side?
                > I have the .CER certificate file, but I can't seem to "install" it or
                > figure out how to reference it in my client when I'm connecting to the
                > server.
                >
                > Has anyone done this and could tell me how to reference or "install"
                > my certificate client-side for a HTTPS connection with need for a
                > certificate?
                >
                > Again, I hope this is simple! Thanks for your time...
                > -brian
                >
                >
                > --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Bryce Harrington <bryce@o...> wrote:
                > > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
                > > > > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that
                > > > because
                > > > > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in
                > > > daemon
                > > > > mode.
                > > > >
                > > > > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get
                > this
                > > > issue
                > > > > solved.
                > > >
                > > > Hello Bryce,
                > > >
                > > > I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)
                > > >
                > > > here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
                > > >
                > > > http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
                > > > .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm
                > > >
                > >
                > > Hi Laurent,
                > >
                > > We think we've figured out how to handle the SSL capabilities. In
                > our
                > > daemon we pass the following options into SOAP::
                > Transport::HTTP::Daemon:
                > >
                > >
                > > my %args;
                > > $args{'LocalPort'} = 8081;
                > > $args{'ReuseAddr'} = 1;
                > > $args{'Listen'} = 5;
                > > if ($opt_ssl) {
                > > $args{'SSL_key_file'} = $opt_ssl_key_file;
                > > $args{'SSL_cert_file'} = $opt_ssl_cert_file;
                > > }
                > >
                > > my $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
                > > -> new ( %args )
                > > -> dispatch_to('WebService::TestSystem')
                > > -> options({compress_threshold => 10000})
                > > ;
                > >
                > > print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, "\n";
                > > $daemon->handle;
                > >
                > >
                > > Hope this helps,
                > > Bryce
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.