SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::SSL ???

  • laurentf_ml
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hello,

      I would like to write a little stand-alone soap server, which is very
      easy with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon, but, for security reasons, I
      would like to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.

      Is something like this possible (whithout apache) ?

      regards,
      Laurent F.
    • Bryce Harrington
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
        For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that because
        Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in daemon
        mode.

        We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get this issue
        solved.

        Bryce

        On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I would like to write a little stand-alone soap server, which is very
        > easy with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon, but, for security reasons, I
        > would like to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
        >
        > Is something like this possible (whithout apache) ?
        >
        > regards,
        > Laurent F.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bryce Harrington
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          Check this out...

          http://johnbokma.com/perl/https.html

          On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:
          > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that because
          > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in daemon
          > mode.
          >
          > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get this issue
          > solved.
          >
          > Bryce
          >
          > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I would like to write a little stand-alone soap server, which is very
          > > easy with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon, but, for security reasons, I
          > > would like to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
          > >
          > > Is something like this possible (whithout apache) ?
          > >
          > > regards,
          > > Laurent F.
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • laurentf_ml
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
            > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that
            because
            > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in
            daemon
            > mode.
            >
            > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get this
            issue
            > solved.

            Hello Bryce,

            I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)

            here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :

            http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
            .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm

            which has this interesting option :

            ssl => 0|1 - Run a secure server using SSL. You must
            specify ssl_key, ssl_cert, and ssl_ca if
            set this to 1.
            ( Default: 0 )

            (but how to do the "glue" with Soaplite ?)

            and

            http://search.cpan.org/~behroozi/HTTP-Daemon-SSL-1.01/SSL.pm

            by looking in Soaplite source code, I ask myself if this one couldn't
            be added in HTTP.pm ( as a "SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::SSL" )

            ... but it's probably beyond my perl capabilities !

            regards,
            Laurent F.

            > Bryce
            >
            > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > I would like to write a little stand-alone soap server, which is
            very
            > > easy with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon, but, for security
            reasons, I
            > > would like to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
            > >
            > > Is something like this possible (whithout apache) ?
            > >
            > > regards,
            > > Laurent F.
          • Hostile
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
              I think it should be possible in theory to do a https server with
              certificates. I did some reading into it a few months back. I soon
              decided I would rather use Apache and that I would not put a perl
              based service facing the world.

              If you read into the transport stuff, you can write your own. I
              suspect you can use HTTP::Daemon::SSL and somehow set the certificate
              values etc either by passing the right arguements when creating the
              object or by setting %ENV variables (prolly something do to with
              Crypt::SSLeay).

              I have the Orielly book, that gave me some ideas. Its been too long
              since I looked at this but if it is of any use I have attached some
              code I played with.

              The code I have attached, I just copied the HTTP transport and
              replaced HTTP::Daemon with HTTP::Daemon::SSL

              HTTP::Daemon::SSL does not fork for you, hence the prefork version
              also attached.

              Cheers :)

              Martin

              On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:57:42 -0000, laurentf_ml <laurentf_ml@...> wrote:

              > > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that
              > because
              > > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in
              > daemon
              > > mode.
              > >
              > > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get this
              > issue
              > > solved.
              >
              > Hello Bryce,
              >
              > I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)
              >
              > here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
              >
              > http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
              > .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm
              >
              > which has this interesting option :
              >
              > ssl => 0|1 - Run a secure server using SSL. You must
              > specify ssl_key, ssl_cert, and ssl_ca if
              > set this to 1.
              > ( Default: 0 )
              >
              > (but how to do the "glue" with Soaplite ?)
              >
              > and
              >
              > http://search.cpan.org/~behroozi/HTTP-Daemon-SSL-1.01/SSL.pm
              >
              > by looking in Soaplite source code, I ask myself if this one couldn't
              > be added in HTTP.pm ( as a "SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::SSL" )
              >
              > ... but it's probably beyond my perl capabilities !
              >
              > regards,
              > Laurent F.
              >

              > > Bryce
              > >
              > > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
              > > > Hello,
              > > >
              > > > I would like to write a little stand-alone soap server, which is
              > very
              > > > easy with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon, but, for security
              > reasons, I
              > > > would like to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
              > > >
              > > > Is something like this possible (whithout apache) ?
              > > >
              > > > regards,
              > > > Laurent F.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bryce Harrington
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
                > I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)

                Yeah I had scanned through the entire archives of this list looking for
                an answer, and I was surprised to see the question asked a number of
                times previously. Unfortunately I didn't spot a solid answer. It
                appears to be a still-unsolved problem.

                > here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
                >
                > http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
                > .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm
                >
                > which has this interesting option :
                >
                > ssl => 0|1 - Run a secure server using SSL. You must
                > specify ssl_key, ssl_cert, and ssl_ca if
                > set this to 1.
                > ( Default: 0 )
                >

                > (but how to do the "glue" with Soaplite ?)
                >
                > and
                >
                > http://search.cpan.org/~behroozi/HTTP-Daemon-SSL-1.01/SSL.pm
                >
                > by looking in Soaplite source code, I ask myself if this one couldn't
                > be added in HTTP.pm ( as a "SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::SSL" )
                >
                > ... but it's probably beyond my perl capabilities !

                Cool, I've passed this along to Kees, who has been looking into this a
                bit with me.

                For us the issue is just lack of sufficient time to research into what
                needs to be done. Coding it up (or explaining how to code it) should be
                straightforward. Kees, can you weigh in with your thoughts on what's
                needed for this?

                Bryce
              • Bryce Harrington
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
                  On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
                  > > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that
                  > because
                  > > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in
                  > daemon
                  > > mode.
                  > >
                  > > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get this
                  > issue
                  > > solved.
                  >
                  > Hello Bryce,
                  >
                  > I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)
                  >
                  > here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
                  >
                  > http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
                  > .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm

                  Hi Laurent,

                  We think we've figured out how to handle the SSL capabilities. In our
                  daemon we pass the following options into SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon:

                  my %args;
                  $args{'LocalPort'} = 8081;
                  $args{'ReuseAddr'} = 1;
                  $args{'Listen'} = 5;
                  if ($opt_ssl) {
                  $args{'SSL_key_file'} = $opt_ssl_key_file;
                  $args{'SSL_cert_file'} = $opt_ssl_cert_file;

                  -> new ( %args )
                  -> dispatch_to('WebService::TestSystem')
                  -> options({compress_threshold => 10000})
                  ;

                  print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, "\n";
                  $daemon->handle;

                  Hope this helps,
                  Bryce
                • h2ofaull
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
                    Greetings,

                    I'm sure this is a straightforward problem, but I've searched the
                    soaplite archives, and 3 suggested books on the subject to no avail...
                    and it seems to be related to this thread.

                    The code posted previously appears to be the server-side of the SSL
                    certificate issue -- is there a simple solution for the client side?
                    I have the .CER certificate file, but I can't seem to "install" it or
                    figure out how to reference it in my client when I'm connecting to the
                    server.

                    Has anyone done this and could tell me how to reference or "install"
                    my certificate client-side for a HTTPS connection with need for a
                    certificate?

                    Again, I hope this is simple! Thanks for your time...
                    -brian

                    --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Bryce Harrington <bryce@o...> wrote:
                    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, laurentf_ml wrote:
                    > > > For my project, we've got a similar need, but it appears that
                    > > because
                    > > > Perl lacks decent certificate management, ssl can't be used in
                    > > daemon
                    > > > mode.
                    > > >
                    > > > We'd be interested in collaborating with others to try to get
                    this
                    > > issue
                    > > > solved.
                    > >
                    > > Hello Bryce,
                    > >
                    > > I'm happy to learn that I'm not alone :-)
                    > >
                    > > here are the results of my searchs done before posting here :
                    > >
                    > > http://search.cpan.org/~reatmon/Net-HTTPServer-1.0
                    > > .2/lib/Net/HTTPServer.pm
                    > >

                    > Hi Laurent,
                    >
                    > We think we've figured out how to handle the SSL capabilities. In
                    our
                    > daemon we pass the following options into SOAP::
                    Transport::HTTP::Daemon:

                    > my %args;
                    > $args{'LocalPort'} = 8081;
                    > $args{'ReuseAddr'} = 1;
                    > $args{'Listen'} = 5;
                    > if ($opt_ssl) {
                    > $args{'SSL_key_file'} = $opt_ssl_key_file;
                    > $args{'SSL_cert_file'} = $opt_ssl_cert_file;
                    > }
                    >
                    > my $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
                    > -> new ( %args )
                    > -> dispatch_to('WebService::TestSystem')
                    > -> options({compress_threshold => 10000})
                    > ;
                    >
                    > print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, "\n";
                    > $daemon->handle;
                    >

                    > Hope this helps,
                    > Bryce
                  • h2ofaull
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 12, 2005
                      Sorry - to be clear, I have a new Certificate Authority (CA)
                      certificate... I have installed this for my browser, but I think Perl
                      isn't finding it.

                      Thanks again! :)

                      -brian