P2P SOAP

  • J. J. Merelo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi,
      I'm still a novice at this, and maybe I'm missing something, but I
      think it wouldn't be too difficult to change SOAP::Lite to make true
      peer-to-peer networking. For some transports, it would not be possible
      (for instance, CGI), but for others, like TCP, it should be very easy to
      create a P2P gadget.

      Right now, it's possible to do it, but not straightforward. The problem
      is that it's SOAP::Lite the one that does the event loop handling, by
      means of the handle() method. If, instead of doing it that way, we could
      do something like
      while (!SOAPEvents()) {
      do_stuff();
      }
      with event-driven methods, it would be much easier to do so. Maybe it
      would be a matter of combining POE and SOAP. Or maybe it's a matter of
      using on_action wisely, I don't know. Or maybe it can be done and I
      can't figure out how to do it... If it can be done, I'd be very grateful
      to hear how.

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi, J!

        Good question, thank you. Yes, I'm thinking (hard :) about it and
        there are several options available. Something (but not all, due to
        implementations of underlying transports) can be done in event-driven
        mode, probably using POE. I'm also thinking about NetServer::Generic
        for TCP-based transport. Another option might be to implement client
        and server as a COMPLETELY different processes, but specify server as
        a destination for all async responses, and client will poll the
        server (on the same machine) and ask something like "do you have any
        messages in reply for message #123456789?". Advantage of this method
        is that server can accept messages even if client is not working
        right now, keep/dispatch messages for different clients, handle
        different transport etc. Ideally I would like to solve this problem
        for ALL available transports as well as for coming Jabber and MQ. You
        should be able to do both async and sync request/responses using any
        transport. I can do it individually for every transport, but I would
        like to maintain general interface for all transports. Any ideas how
        it should look like will be greatly appreciated.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/