grab XML as string before posting

  • Martin Naskovski
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2004
      Hi - I am new to perl as well as new to the SOAP::Lite package - I have a
      fairly simple question - is it possible to somehow 'grab' the serialized
      XML after I have built it using SOAP::Data? I know about the +debug
      option, but that does two things I don't want - it outputs my XML only
      when I make the SOAP call, and two, I cannot capture it as a string in
      some perl variable.

      Can the XML be somehow retained as a string once it's been built with
      SOAP::Data? Thank you.

      Martin
    • Jon Orwant
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2004
        I'll leave explaining the proper technique to someone else, but...this
        is a horrible kludge and you should question the goodness of a world in
        which you have to do it, but as a last resort you can always intercept
        STDERR to capture tracing info:

        use SOAP::Lite +trace => "debug";
        close STDERR;
        open STDERR, '>', \$stderr;

        And then use simple regexes to extract the incoming and outgoing XML
        from $stderr.

        -Jon

        On Oct 27, 2004, at 10:15 PM, Martin Naskovski wrote:

        > Hi - I am new to perl as well as new to the SOAP::Lite package - I
        > have a
        > fairly simple question - is it possible to somehow 'grab' the
        > serialized
        > XML after I have built it using SOAP::Data? I know about the +debug
        > option, but that does two things I don't want - it outputs my XML only
        > when I make the SOAP call, and two, I cannot capture it as a string in
        > some perl variable.
        >
        > Can the XML be somehow retained as a string once it's been built with
        > SOAP::Data? Thank you.
        >
        > Martin
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Duncan Cameron
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2004
          Martin
          You didn't say what you wanted to do with the serialised XML but either of these approaches might give you what you want

          serialise a data item:

          my $soap= SOAP::Lite-> ... etc

          $soap->serializer->serialize($p)

          or serialise the complete SOAP envelope:

          $soap->serializer->envelope('method', 'somemethod', $p1, $p2 ...)

          If you browse through the source for SOAP::Lite you should be able to see what these two examples are doing.

          Duncan