SOAP Newbie

  • Christy Austin
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2004
      I am new to SOAP and am having a hard time getting started. I have
      been reading Web Services with PERL but am still having a rough go.

      I am trying to write a SOAP client. I have been provided with XML
      Schemas of the two web services as well as WSDL schemas. While there
      are two services, there seems to be several different methods (?) that
      I can call (e.g. RetrieveOfficeData, RetrieveListingData, etc.).

      I was also provided with the following SOAP Example, but am sadly
      having trouble discerning what is what within the example:

      POST /evernetqueryservice/evernetquery.asmx HTTP/1.1
      Host: evernet.nwmls.com
      SOAPAction: "http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices/RetrieveOfficeData"

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <soap:Envelope xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" x
      +mlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:soap="http://schema
      +s.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
      <soap:Body>
      <RetrieveOfficeData xmlns="http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices">
      <v_strXmlQuery>string</v_strXmlQuery>
      </RetrieveOfficeData>
      </soap:Body>
      </soap:Envelope>

      I have written the following, small perl code to try to work with this
      method:

      #!/usr/bin/perl

      use strict;

      use SOAP::Lite;

      my $num= shift; $num=~/^\d+$/ or die "USAGE: $0 num/n";

      my ($server,$endpoint,$soapaction,$method,$method_urn);
      $server='http://evernet.nwmls.com';
      $endpoint="$server/evernetqueryservice/evernetquery.asmx";
      $soapaction="http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices/RetrieveOfficeData";
      $method='RetrieveOfficeData';
      $method_urn='http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices';

      my $soap=SOAP::Lite->new(uri=>$soapaction,
      proxy=>$endpoint);

      my $response=$soap ->
      call(SOAP::Data->name($method)
      ->attr({xmlns=>$method_urn})
      =>#Arguments listed next
      SOAP::Data->name(v_strXmlQuery=>$num));

      if ($response->fault){
      printf "A fault (%s) occurred: %s\n",
      $response->faultcode,$response->faultstring;
      }
      else
      { print "$response->result\n";
      }

      exit;

      When I run this, I get the following error:

      A fault (soap:Client) occurred: Server did not recognize the value of
      HTTP Header SOAPAction:
      http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices#RetrieveOfficeData.

      So I am thinking that I am confusing things when I assign the method,
      urn, enpoint, etc.

      Given the example provided, how would I decode the following elements:
      server, endpoint (proxy), soapaction (uri), method, method_urn?

      Regards.
    • Jon Kliegman
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 21, 2004
        Message
        I hit this problem recently -- you need to change:
        my $soap=SOAP::Lite->new(uri=>$soapaction,
                    proxy=>$endpoint);

        my $soap=SOAP::Lite->new(uri=>$soapaction,
                    proxy=>$endpoint)->on_action(sub { sprintf '"%s/%s"', shift,shift });

        This causes it to output the correct SOAPAction header as shown in the sample you provided.

        -Jon

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2004
          At 2004-10-21, 23:18:06 Christy Austin <Christy@...> wrote:

          >I am new to SOAP and am having a hard time getting started. I have
          >been reading Web Services with PERL but am still having a rough go.
          >
          >I am trying to write a SOAP client. I have been provided with XML
          >Schemas of the two web services as well as WSDL schemas. While there
          >are two services, there seems to be several different methods (?) that
          >I can call (e.g. RetrieveOfficeData, RetrieveListingData, etc.).
          >
          >I was also provided with the following SOAP Example, but am sadly
          >having trouble discerning what is what within the example:
          >
          >POST /evernetqueryservice/evernetquery.asmx HTTP/1.1
          >Host: evernet.nwmls.com
          >SOAPAction: "http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices/RetrieveOfficeData"
          >
          ><?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
          ><soap:Envelope xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" x
          >+mlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:soap="http://schema
          >+s.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
          > <soap:Body>
          > <RetrieveOfficeData xmlns="http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices">
          > <v_strXmlQuery>string</v_strXmlQuery>
          > </RetrieveOfficeData>
          > </soap:Body>
          ></soap:Envelope>
          >

          >I have written the following, small perl code to try to work with this
          >method:
          >
          >#!/usr/bin/perl
          >
          >use strict;
          >
          >use SOAP::Lite;
          >

          >my $num= shift; $num=~/^\d+$/ or die "USAGE: $0 num/n";
          >
          >my ($server,$endpoint,$soapaction,$method,$method_urn);
          >$server='http://evernet.nwmls.com';
          >$endpoint="$server/evernetqueryservice/evernetquery.asmx";
          >$soapaction="http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices/RetrieveOfficeData";
          >$method='RetrieveOfficeData';
          >$method_urn='http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices';
          >
          >my $soap=SOAP::Lite->new(uri=>$soapaction,
          > proxy=>$endpoint);
          >
          >my $response=$soap ->
          > call(SOAP::Data->name($method)
          > ->attr({xmlns=>$method_urn})
          > =>#Arguments listed next
          > SOAP::Data->name(v_strXmlQuery=>$num));
          >
          >if ($response->fault){
          > printf "A fault (%s) occurred: %s\n",
          > $response->faultcode,$response->faultstring;
          >}
          >else
          >{ print "$response->result\n";
          >}
          >
          >exit;
          >

          >When I run this, I get the following error:
          >
          >A fault (soap:Client) occurred: Server did not recognize the value of
          >HTTP Header SOAPAction:
          >http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices#RetrieveOfficeData.
          >

          >So I am thinking that I am confusing things when I assign the method,
          >urn, enpoint, etc.
          >
          >Given the example provided, how would I decode the following elements:
          >server, endpoint (proxy), soapaction (uri), method, method_urn?

          Just to explain a bit what is going on

          By default SOAP::Lite creates a SOAPAction value by joining with a '#' character the namespace of the method with the method name itself.
          So you got
          http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices#RetrieveOfficeData

          The problem is that this is not compatible with dotNet , which wants them joined using a '/' character. You can do this by specifying your own on_action() subroutine. Something like
          ->on_action(sub{ return "$_[0]/$_[1]" })
          where $_[0] will be the namespace and $_[1] will be the method name

          So in your example

          $server='http://evernet.nwmls.com';
          $endpoint="$server/evernetqueryservice/evernetquery.asmx";
          $method='RetrieveOfficeData';
          $namespace='http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices';

          my $soap=SOAP::Lite->new(
          uri=>$namespace,
          proxy=>$endpoint,
          on_action => sub {"$_[0]/$_[1]"}
          );

          my $response=$soap ->call(
          SOAP::Data->name($method)
          ->attr({xmlns=>$namespace})
          =>#Arguments listed next
          SOAP::Data->name(v_strXmlQuery=>$num)
          );

          This now does get a response from the server but it contains an error message :(
          It looks like the strXmlQuery parameter needs to be some XML rather than a number.

          Regards
          Duncan
        • Christy
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2004
            I tried adding the following to my code to replace the straight text
            number value.

            my $zip=$ARGV[0];
            print "Looking for Zipcode: $zip\n";

            $num=SOAP::Data->type("xs:nonNegativeInteger")->name("Zip"=>$zip);
            my $response =
            $soap->call(SOAP::Data->name($method)->attr({xmlns=>$uri})=>SOAP::Data->name
            (v_strXmlQuery=>@num));

            $>perl office.pl 98532

            SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: POST
            http://evernet.nwmls.com/evernetqueryservice/evernetquery.asmx HTTP/1.1
            Accept: text/xml
            Accept: multipart/*
            SOAPAction: "http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices/RetrieveOfficeData"

            SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"><SOAP-ENV
            :Body><RetrieveOfficeData
            xmlns="http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices"><v_strXmlQuery/></RetrieveOffic
            eData></SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>
            SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive:
            HTTP::Response=HASH(0x9f01544)
            SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
            Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
            Connection: close
            Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:28:34 GMT
            Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0

            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope
            xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><RetrieveOfficeDataR
            esponse
            xmlns="http://www.nwmls.com/EverNetServices"><RetrieveOfficeDataResult><O
            ffices><ResponseMessages><Message><Error>The root
            element is missing.. [ in
            Utility.CheckWellFormedNess ]</Error><Detail><LineNumber>0
            </LineNumber><LinePosition>0</LinePosition><Source>E
            verNetLib</Source></Detail></Message></ResponseMessages
            ></Offices></RetrieveOfficeDataResult></RetrieveOfficeDataResponse>
            </soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
            SOAP::Deserializer::deserialize: ()
            SOAP::Parser::decode: ()
            SOAP::SOM::new: ()
            Office ID: SOAP::Data=HASH(0x9acbb24) Data
            <Offices><ResponseMessages><Message><Error>The root element is missing..
            [ in Utility.CheckWellFormedNess
            ]</Error><Detail><LineNumber>0</LineNumber><LinePosition>0</LinePosition><So
            urce>EverNetLib</Source></Detail></Message></ResponseMessages></Offices>

            So this clearly didn't work. I feel like this is getting closer, but
            that could simply be my hopeless desperation.

          • Christy
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2004

              Well, I thought that is what I was trying to do.

              It is clear that I am assigning this incorrectly as I am getting an error:

              "object reference no set to an instance of an object"

              Tony

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 23, 2004

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 24, 2004
                  I got it from

                  http://evernet.nwmls.com/library/standard_help_files/Schemas/Query/EverNetOf
                  ficeXML.xsd

                  I am getting pretty confused on how/when the XML Schema is put into play,
                  where to apply the WSDL
                  and how an xml document like this one above is to be used. I apologize for
                  being so dense, this is
                  just a whole new world for me and the amount of datal I am trying to digest
                  is pretty large.

                  I really appreciate everyones efforts to get me up and running and for
                  everyone's patience.

                  Regards, Tony