Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite interoperability

    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2001
      Hi, J!

      > I'd like to know if it's possible to use, off-the-shelf, a
      > SOAP::Lite
      > server with a, for instance, Java client, or both need to use a
      > WSDL description to understand each other.
      No, you don't need to have/use WSDL description for that. From
      SOAP::Lite you can access any service without WSDL description
      (though you may use it in some situations). Answer about Java client
      depends on what kind of SOAp toolkit you're using, because more than
      ten Java toolkits are available and some of them are using WSDL and
      some of them are not (like ApacheSOAP).

      > If anybody has managed to to so, are there examples available?
      SOAP::Lite includes several examples, but no examples with Java as a
      client (mainly because of so many different java impl. available).
      What is your client?

      > While you're at it, is there a way to automatically generate WSDL
      > descriptions from PERL data structures?
      Not yet. Future versions will address this problem.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      --- "J. J. Merelo" <jmerelo@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I'd like to know if it's possible to use, off-the-shelf, a
      > SOAP::Lite
      > server with a, for instance, Java client, or both need to use a
      > WSDL
      > description to understand each other. If anybody has managed to to
      > so,
      > are there examples available?
      >
      > While you're at it, is there a way to automatically generate WSDL
      > descriptions from PERL data structures?
      >
      > Thanks!

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • J. J. Merelo

        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2003
          I'm trying to come up with an application-specific module based on
          SOAP::Lite that can be used to implement simple SOAP services (both
          client and server). The goal is being able to exchange queries
          consisting of data structures (hashes and arrays), not just plain
          strings. Both client and server need to easily interoperate with other
          SOAP services written using other toolkits (axis, BEA logic, nusoap,
          etc.), so I'm trying to come up with a solution that offers the greatest
          amount of interoperability.

          From what I've been reading, it looks to me like the majority of
          toolkits is moving towards supporting and encouraging use of
          document/literal encoding for complex data structures rather than the
          soap/rpc encoding, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how I
          can accomplish this using SOAP::Lite.

          Has anybody had success in coming up with a paradigm where you can use
          SOAP::Lite's functionality to serialize/deserialize data structures
          using literal encoding? It looks like I can do this on the client side
          by doing something like:

          my $inxml = '<foo>bar</foo>';
          $data = SOAP::Data->name('payload')->value($inxml)->type('xml');
          $soap->outputxml(1);
          my $outxml = $soap->call('method', $data);
          # now unpack xml document

          But how can I do the equivalent on the server side?

          Thanks,

          -- Alberto

          Alberto Accomazzi
          NASA Astrophysics Data System http://adswww.harvard.edu
          Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics http://cfa-www.harvard.edu
          60 Garden Street, MS 83, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA