how slippery is SOAP?

  • rog2@foskett.f9.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2001
      Hello again,

      This is probably more of a SOAP related question (sorry if too off
      topic) but I am just wondering if anyone is using a SOAP layer within
      an application and how acceptable the performance is.

      I have a module which I have tested with a preforking SOAP::Lite
      server and also with just a normal Perl script. As far as I can see,
      a preforking server should achive the best server side performance as
      the processes are already loaded.

      When run side by side, the SOAP client is noticably behind in
      performance to that of the normal script just 'using' the module
      (SOAP servers & clients on same machine). This is obviously expected
      but I didnt expect the lag to be as large.

      What worries me is that the whole SOAP architecture may not really
      fit the bill due to the slower performance speeds - especially in
      something complex like Office2004 (or whatever the .NET release is)
      where hundreds of SOAP requests will be made per second/minute.

      How does SOAP's performance compare to that of DCOM or CORBA? Is this
      kind of design approach in an application really warrented?

      well - I think this is really off topic now :-) (sorry)

      Perhaps the best solution would be to somehow use the
      SOAP::Transport::LOCAL when the client and server are both on the
      same machine.

      Does anyone have any views on my babbling?

      many thanks

      Roger Foskett
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22, 2001
        Hi, Roger!

        I don't think it's offtopic and I think your point is absolutely
        valid. It might be an issue and I plan to address it in several
        different ways. First of all, performance of module itself might be
        increased. Second, I plan to address loading time, cutting or
        delaying of loading subs/classes that may not be used immediately.
        Third. XML message is parsed and validated EVERY time,so why should
        we spend time on it, if you already handled such message? SOAP
        processor acts as an layer between wire and application, so if we
        parse and store XML as a template and then instead of parsing will
        use regexpes, we can get five or even tenfold increase for messages
        we already parsed. THAT is my goal also. Neither client, nor server
        side will change, you'll just specify that you want to allow cache
        messages (what algorithm and how many) and SOAP::Lite will do it for
        you. My benchmarks show significant benefits, but it was just a
        prototype and it's still far from ready-to-use module.

        On a side note, according to my tests (and I tested about 20
        implementations), there is only 2 times difference between slowest
        and average and the same 2 times difference between quickest and
        average on my tests thru the Internet. Definitely quickest
        implementations put less load on server, but user doesn't see the
        difference in most cases. Microsoft's implementations have similar
        performance to SOAP::Lite (some of them are little bit quicker and
        some are slower), but the difference is about 20%.

        Comparing to CORBA, definitely you can get there better performance
        for small messages, but when complex data structures are built in
        memory (arrays with thousands elements, or complex struct relations)
        difference between representation on wire becomes less and less
        visible. Partially, performance is the price we pay for flexibility.
        That might be the good excercise try to execute SOAP interface with
        binary transfer (using Storable or something like that) and check the
        performance.

        Any ideas about improving performance will be greatly appreciated.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/