RE: [soaplite] Install on Windows 98 NT 2000

  • Peter Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
      Try installing build 623 of AcitvePerl, I could install SOAP::Lite once I
      upgraded from build 620. The latest build they have of SOAP::Lite is 0.43
      though.

      PW.

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
        Okay ...I am using 5.5 build 522 (I think), not 5.6. I should have
        mentioned that.

        What installation procedure did you use? The usual Unix make
        procedure using Microsoft NMAKE? I have never used this procedure
        for ActiveState. I have only ever used PPM. Does the Unix procedure
        work on ActiveState? I get error messages like "Can't find perl.exe
        in C:\perl\bin" even though it is definately located there. Is this
        a pre-build 623 bug?

        --- In soaplite@y..., "Peter Wilkinson" <pwilkinson@f...> wrote:
        > Try installing build 623 of AcitvePerl, I could install SOAP::Lite
        once I
        > upgraded from build 620. The latest build they have of SOAP::Lite
        is 0.43
        > though.
        >

        > PW.

      • Peter Wilkinson
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
          Hi Allie???

          I can't say I've built SOAP::Lite on windows but the couple of times I've
          built other modules I had to fiddle Makefile.pl to tell it the right paths
          to use.

          If you can, I'd upgrade to the latest version and go the ppm way, but I'll
          give the compile a shot and let you know if I get it going.

          PW.

          Peter Wilkinson
          pwilkinson@...

          Okay ...I am using 5.5 build 522 (I think), not 5.6. I should have
          mentioned that.

          What installation procedure did you use? The usual Unix make
          procedure using Microsoft NMAKE? I have never used this procedure
          for ActiveState. I have only ever used PPM. Does the Unix procedure
          work on ActiveState? I get error messages like "Can't find perl.exe
          in C:\perl\bin" even though it is definately located there. Is this
          a pre-build 623 bug?

          --- In soaplite@y..., "Peter Wilkinson" <pwilkinson@f...> wrote:
          > Try installing build 623 of AcitvePerl, I could install SOAP::Lite
          once I
          > upgraded from build 620. The latest build they have of SOAP::Lite
          is 0.43
          > though.
          >

          > PW.

        • Peter Wilkinson
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
            I've just downloaded the latest SOAP::Lite .zip and it compiles fine here.

            'perl Makefile.PL' the 'nmake' and it builds fine. I did have to install the
            MIME::Lite ppm, but I got that straight from ActiveState.

            My configuration is Win2000 SP1 and .NET SDK installed for 'nmake'

            I didn't install as this version of ppm requires SOAP::Lite and didn't let
            me remove the 0.43 version!

            PW.

            Peter Wilkinson
            pwilkinson@...

            Okay ...I am using 5.5 build 522 (I think), not 5.6. I should have
            mentioned that.

            What installation procedure did you use? The usual Unix make
            procedure using Microsoft NMAKE? I have never used this procedure
            for ActiveState. I have only ever used PPM. Does the Unix procedure
            work on ActiveState? I get error messages like "Can't find perl.exe
            in C:\perl\bin" even though it is definately located there. Is this
            a pre-build 623 bug?

            --- In soaplite@y..., "Peter Wilkinson" <pwilkinson@f...> wrote:
            > Try installing build 623 of AcitvePerl, I could install SOAP::Lite
            once I
            > upgraded from build 620. The latest build they have of SOAP::Lite
            is 0.43
            > though.
            >

            > PW.

          • Fisher, James
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
              I have built SOAP::Lite on windows...
              Just install the required modules that are listed on www.soaplite.com with
              ppm. Then, download the zip or the tar file and install it like it is
              described in the readme. Here is a sample

              Open a dos prompt. Go to the directory that you unzipped soap lite into.
              - type "perl makefile.pl"
              - type "nmake"
              - type "nmake test"
              - type "nmake install"

              done

              Okay ...I am using 5.5 build 522 (I think), not 5.6. I should have
              mentioned that.

              What installation procedure did you use? The usual Unix make
              procedure using Microsoft NMAKE? I have never used this procedure
              for ActiveState. I have only ever used PPM. Does the Unix procedure
              work on ActiveState? I get error messages like "Can't find perl.exe
              in C:\perl\bin" even though it is definately located there. Is this
              a pre-build 623 bug?

              --- In soaplite@y..., "Peter Wilkinson" <pwilkinson@f...> wrote:
              > Try installing build 623 of AcitvePerl, I could install SOAP::Lite
              once I
              > upgraded from build 620. The latest build they have of SOAP::Lite
              is 0.43
              > though.
              >

              > PW.

            • Thomas Charron
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
                Erm..

                --Screen Cut--
                PPM> search SOAP
                Packages available from
                http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/
                PPMServer:
                SOAP-AutoInvoke [0.25] SOAP mod_perl handler
                SOAP-Lite [0.40] Library for SOAP clients and servers in Perl

                > Any tips on installing this for ActiveState on Windows? There is no
                > PPM that I can see. Unix installation is a breeze, but using the
                > Unix procedure and NMAKE on Windows does not work well. Does someone
                > have an ActiveState PPM for Windows are ideas on how to make one
                > (besides "Read ActiveState documentation" which I've already done to
                > no avail)?
              • Duncan Cameron
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                  Peter/Allie et al

                  Installing SOAP-Lite 0.46 works fine with Active State version 5.005_03, build 522, on Windows 98.

                  As James Fisher wrote, the standard mantra works but I use

                  perl makefile.pl
                  nmake
                  nmake test
                  perl -mHtmlHelp -e "HtmlHelp::MakeHtmlTree('blib/lib', 'blib/html/lib/site', 2)"
                  ppm install

                  The last two commands mean that the SOAP-Lite pod is turned into html and integrated into the Active State table of contents, and that PPM is now aware of the package (so it appears if you do ppm query).

                  Paul - it might be an idea to provide a PPM-ready version in addition to the Unix and Win32 versions. I don't know whether such a version would vary across different Active State distributions, but I can provide one for the version identified above.

                  Regards,
                  Duncan Cameron

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                    Hi, Duncan!

                    Thank you, I'll include it in docs.

                    > Paul - it might be an idea to provide a PPM-ready version in
                    > addition to the Unix and Win32 versions. I don't know whether such
                    > a version would vary across different Active State distributions,
                    > but I can provide one for the version identified above.
                    Yes, I'm working on it. It would be great if you could do it for
                    5.005 version of ActivePerl and I'll do it for 5.6. Thank you.

                    Best wishes, Paul.

                    http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                  • Peter Wilkinson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                      Thanks Duncan,
                      The build and install and tests work fine on Win2000 SP1, ActiveState v5.6.0
                      build 623, using the .NET SDK nmake.

                      I like the 'ppm install', I was not aware it would install from source like
                      that.

                      PW.

                      On 2001-02-07 at 02:44:00, Peter Wilkinson <pwilkinson@...>
                      wrote concerning 'RE: [soaplite] Re: Install on Windows 98 NT 2000':
                      >I've just downloaded the latest SOAP::Lite .zip and it compiles fine here.
                      >
                      >'perl Makefile.PL' the 'nmake' and it builds fine. I did have to install
                      the
                      >MIME::Lite ppm, but I got that straight from ActiveState.
                      >
                      >My configuration is Win2000 SP1 and .NET SDK installed for 'nmake'
                      >
                      >I didn't install as this version of ppm requires SOAP::Lite and didn't let
                      >me remove the 0.43 version!
                      >
                      >PW.
                      >
                      >Peter Wilkinson
                      >pwilkinson@...

                    • Peter Wilkinson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                        Duncan,
                        I didn't get the htmlhelp part to work though - I can't find the module,
                        where is that located???

                        PW.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
                            On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:16:10 -0500 , "Fisher, James" <jfisher@...>
                            wrote:

                            >That is not created by default. Here are your options.
                            >
                            >1. (The option I use) Open a cmd prompt and type "perldoc SOAP::Lite".
                            >type "perldoc perldoc" if you have any questions.

                            >2. There is a bat called pod2html.bat which will convert it to html, but I
                            >have never used it. If you want it to show up on that nice html index for
                            >the activestate docs you may have to open up the file and add it. There is
                            >an automated way to do this, but I would have to look it up.

                            Yes, pod2html is the command for converting the PODs to HTML. You must
                            then install your HTML docs into the perl/html/site/lib branch.

                            You can automatically recreate the "Table Of Contents" by running:

                            perl -MActivePerl::DocTools -eActivePerl::DocTools::WriteTOC

                            -Jan