Is SOAP::Lite threadsafe?

  • Reuven M. Lerner
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2004
      Hi, everyone. I've been using SOAP::Lite for a variety of projects over
      the last few years, and have generally been impressed and pleased with it.

      But one of my current projects, which involves Amazon Web services, uses
      ithreads and Perl 5.8.x -- and while things are generally working fine,
      the program is displaying some odd behavior. I'm basically using
      threads to send my requests to Amazon, since they have a limit of one
      request/second and I'm doing a fair amount of data processing in my
      program.

      I'm often finding that a thread receives a response from a previous
      request on that particular thread. Thus if I ask Amazon about ISBN 111,
      receive and process the response to that request, and then send a new
      request asking about ISBN 222, I'll often get information about ISBN 111
      in this second response. This only happens on the same thread; if
      thread #5 asked about ISBN 111, then I'll only get the false "echo"
      response on thread #5.

      So after searching through the documentation to no avail, I'll ask
      everyone here: Is SOAP::Lite, using SOAP over HTTP, threadsafe with
      ithreads? I might be missing some other subtlety of working with
      threads or ithreads, but I have this funny feeling that the weirdness
      has to do with SOAP::Lite.

      Any ideas or suggestions?

      Reuven
    • Alasdair Allan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2004
        Reuven M. Lerner wrote:
        > But one of my current projects, which involves Amazon Web services, uses
        > ithreads and Perl 5.8.x -- and while things are generally working fine,
        > the program is displaying some odd behavior. I'm basically using
        > threads to send my requests to Amazon, since they have a limit of one
        > request/second and I'm doing a fair amount of data processing in my
        > program.

        I've been using SOAP::Lite with ithreads very extensively since Perl 5.7.3
        when you'd hardly call the threading model "stable". I haven't as yet
        experienced any difficulties with the model and threading.

        > So after searching through the documentation to no avail, I'll ask
        > everyone here: Is SOAP::Lite, using SOAP over HTTP, threadsafe with
        > ithreads? I might be missing some other subtlety of working with
        > threads or ithreads, but I have this funny feeling that the weirdness
        > has to do with SOAP::Lite.
        >
        > Any ideas or suggestions?

        Thread safe? Very hard to say. I would have thought it would heavily
        depend on how you're implementing things. Personally I use SOAP::Lite to
        provide contextual web services, certainly for this it's thread safe as I
        use a "thread-on-accept" model.

        Al.