Re: [soaplite] how to

  • Mark Fuller
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
      >All,
      >I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.
      >Is there a how-to
      >on what to do? I have the "Web Services with
      >Perl" book from
      >O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

      Ron,

      I've got some examples I created to help people get up
      to speed as painlessly as possible. I can mail them to
      you if you want.

      BTW: Don't feel alone at being perplexed. I had *a
      lot* of difficulty comprehending where to start and
      how to do it. In my opinion, SOAP::Lite has way too
      many ways to do things, documentated in too many
      places. I found I couldn't become productive with just
      the book, or just one web site, etc. My examples, of
      course, contribute to the problem. :) But, I don't try
      to cover every way to do things. Just the simplest
      (from my perspective as someone who wasn't "getting"
      it).

      Mark

      http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • Peter Rooke
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
        Ron

        Try this Quick Start with SOAP article on Perl.com:

        PeteR

        I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.  Is there a how-to
        on what to do?  I have the "Web Services with Perl" book from
        O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

        Any pointers?

        Thanks in advance.

        --
        Ron Reidy
        Oracle DBA

      • Peter Rooke
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
          Ron

          Try this Quick Start with SOAP article on Perl.com:
          http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/01/soap.html

          Peter Rooke
          Consultant
          Serena Software

          ---------------------------------
          I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.
          Is there a how-to
          on what to do? I have the "Web Services with Perl"
          book from
          O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

          Any pointers?

          Thanks in advance.

          --
          Ron Reidy
          Oracle DBA
          Array BioPharma, Inc.

          http://vote.yahoo.com
        • Colin Magee
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
            Mark,

            Any chance you could mail the same examples to me? I too am new to web
            services but not to Perl, have bought the book "Web Services with Perl"
            and am too none the wiser. Is there a theme here?

            Regards
            Colin

            >I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.
            >Is there a how-to
            >on what to do? I have the "Web Services with
            >Perl" book from
            >O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

            Ron,

            I've got some examples I created to help people get up
            to speed as painlessly as possible. I can mail them to
            you if you want.

            BTW: Don't feel alone at being perplexed. I had *a
            lot* of difficulty comprehending where to start and
            how to do it. In my opinion, SOAP::Lite has way too
            many ways to do things, documentated in too many
            places. I found I couldn't become productive with just
            the book, or just one web site, etc. My examples, of
            course, contribute to the problem. :) But, I don't try
            to cover every way to do things. Just the simplest
            (from my perspective as someone who wasn't "getting"
            it).

            Mark

          • Graham Bright
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 22, 2004
              Hi Colin,

              I gave up using Soap::Lite instead I used a mixture of LWP and MIME tools
              for perl to simply post the formulated xml request to the server. I found
              the documentation for Soap::Lite after 2 weeks very abstract, with no real
              examples on the net.
              Graham.

              >From: "Colin Magee" <colin@...>
              >To: "'Mark Fuller'" <amigo_boy2000@...>,"'reidyre'"
              ><ron.reidy@...>
              >CC: <soaplite@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [soaplite] how to
              >Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:40:15 +0100
              >
              >Mark,
              >
              >Any chance you could mail the same examples to me? I too am new to web
              >services but not to Perl, have bought the book "Web Services with Perl"
              >and am too none the wiser. Is there a theme here?
              >
              >Regards
              >Colin

            • flarneater
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
                --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Magee" <colin@b...> wrote:
                > Mark,
                >
                > Any chance you could mail the same examples to me? I too am new to web
                > services but not to Perl, have bought the book "Web Services with Perl"
                > and am too none the wiser. Is there a theme here?

                Ditto. Some simple, complete examples, would be much appreciated.

                I will say that I did have SOAP operating on some mod-perl enabled
                servers, but it was decided (due to in-house security contraints) that
                we could not use SOAP. Don't ask. Trust me on this one.

                So, it was dropped, and I implemented some custom software to jump
                through the required security hoops. However, the time has come where
                we can start to look at SOAP again. Something fundamental has
                obviously changed in the last few years with respect to the perl SOAP
                implementation, since I didn't have any trouble at all getting it to
                work the first time.

                Cheers!

                -klm.