Re: [soaplite] how to

  • Thomas Charron
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
      > All,
      > I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl. Is there a how-to
      > on what to do? I have the "Web Services with Perl" book from
      > O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

      Well then, I'd say the first advice would be.. Return the book for the
      proper language?
    • Mark Fuller
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
        >All,
        >I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.
        >Is there a how-to
        >on what to do? I have the "Web Services with
        >Perl" book from
        >O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

        Ron,

        I've got some examples I created to help people get up
        to speed as painlessly as possible. I can mail them to
        you if you want.

        BTW: Don't feel alone at being perplexed. I had *a
        lot* of difficulty comprehending where to start and
        how to do it. In my opinion, SOAP::Lite has way too
        many ways to do things, documentated in too many
        places. I found I couldn't become productive with just
        the book, or just one web site, etc. My examples, of
        course, contribute to the problem. :) But, I don't try
        to cover every way to do things. Just the simplest
        (from my perspective as someone who wasn't "getting"
        it).

        Mark

        http://messenger.yahoo.com
      • Peter Rooke
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
          Ron

          Try this Quick Start with SOAP article on Perl.com:

          PeteR

          I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.  Is there a how-to
          on what to do?  I have the "Web Services with Perl" book from
          O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

          Any pointers?

          Thanks in advance.

          --
          Ron Reidy
          Oracle DBA

        • Peter Rooke
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
            Ron

            Try this Quick Start with SOAP article on Perl.com:
            http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/01/soap.html

            Peter Rooke
            Consultant
            Serena Software

            ---------------------------------
            I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.
            Is there a how-to
            on what to do? I have the "Web Services with Perl"
            book from
            O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

            Any pointers?

            Thanks in advance.

            --
            Ron Reidy
            Oracle DBA
            Array BioPharma, Inc.

            http://vote.yahoo.com
          • Colin Magee
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
              Mark,

              Any chance you could mail the same examples to me? I too am new to web
              services but not to Perl, have bought the book "Web Services with Perl"
              and am too none the wiser. Is there a theme here?

              Regards
              Colin

              >I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.
              >Is there a how-to
              >on what to do? I have the "Web Services with
              >Perl" book from
              >O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

              Ron,

              I've got some examples I created to help people get up
              to speed as painlessly as possible. I can mail them to
              you if you want.

              BTW: Don't feel alone at being perplexed. I had *a
              lot* of difficulty comprehending where to start and
              how to do it. In my opinion, SOAP::Lite has way too
              many ways to do things, documentated in too many
              places. I found I couldn't become productive with just
              the book, or just one web site, etc. My examples, of
              course, contribute to the problem. :) But, I don't try
              to cover every way to do things. Just the simplest
              (from my perspective as someone who wasn't "getting"
              it).

              Mark

            • Graham Bright
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 22, 2004
                Hi Colin,

                I gave up using Soap::Lite instead I used a mixture of LWP and MIME tools
                for perl to simply post the formulated xml request to the server. I found
                the documentation for Soap::Lite after 2 weeks very abstract, with no real
                examples on the net.
                Graham.

                >From: "Colin Magee" <colin@...>
                >To: "'Mark Fuller'" <amigo_boy2000@...>,"'reidyre'"
                ><ron.reidy@...>
                >CC: <soaplite@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [soaplite] how to
                >Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:40:15 +0100
                >
                >Mark,
                >
                >Any chance you could mail the same examples to me? I too am new to web
                >services but not to Perl, have bought the book "Web Services with Perl"
                >and am too none the wiser. Is there a theme here?
                >
                >Regards
                >Colin

              • flarneater
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
                  --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Magee" <colin@b...> wrote:
                  > Mark,
                  >
                  > Any chance you could mail the same examples to me? I too am new to web
                  > services but not to Perl, have bought the book "Web Services with Perl"
                  > and am too none the wiser. Is there a theme here?

                  Ditto. Some simple, complete examples, would be much appreciated.

                  I will say that I did have SOAP operating on some mod-perl enabled
                  servers, but it was decided (due to in-house security contraints) that
                  we could not use SOAP. Don't ask. Trust me on this one.

                  So, it was dropped, and I implemented some custom software to jump
                  through the required security hoops. However, the time has come where
                  we can start to look at SOAP again. Something fundamental has
                  obviously changed in the last few years with respect to the perl SOAP
                  implementation, since I didn't have any trouble at all getting it to
                  work the first time.

                  Cheers!

                  -klm.