how to

  • reidyre
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
      All,

      I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl. Is there a how-to
      on what to do? I have the "Web Services with Perl" book from
      O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

      Any pointers?

      Thanks in advance.

      --
      Ron Reidy
      Oracle DBA
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
        > All,
        > I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl. Is there a how-to
        > on what to do? I have the "Web Services with Perl" book from
        > O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

        Well then, I'd say the first advice would be.. Return the book for the
        proper language?
      • Mark Fuller
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
          >All,
          >I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.
          >Is there a how-to
          >on what to do? I have the "Web Services with
          >Perl" book from
          >O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

          Ron,

          I've got some examples I created to help people get up
          to speed as painlessly as possible. I can mail them to
          you if you want.

          BTW: Don't feel alone at being perplexed. I had *a
          lot* of difficulty comprehending where to start and
          how to do it. In my opinion, SOAP::Lite has way too
          many ways to do things, documentated in too many
          places. I found I couldn't become productive with just
          the book, or just one web site, etc. My examples, of
          course, contribute to the problem. :) But, I don't try
          to cover every way to do things. Just the simplest
          (from my perspective as someone who wasn't "getting"
          it).

          Mark

          http://messenger.yahoo.com
        • Peter Rooke
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
            Ron

            Try this Quick Start with SOAP article on Perl.com:

            PeteR

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
              Ron

              Try this Quick Start with SOAP article on Perl.com:
              http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/01/soap.html

              Peter Rooke
              Consultant
              Serena Software

              ---------------------------------
              I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.
              Is there a how-to
              on what to do? I have the "Web Services with Perl"
              book from
              O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

              Any pointers?

              Thanks in advance.

              --
              Ron Reidy
              Oracle DBA
              Array BioPharma, Inc.

              http://vote.yahoo.com
            • Colin Magee
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
                Mark,

                Any chance you could mail the same examples to me? I too am new to web
                services but not to Perl, have bought the book "Web Services with Perl"
                and am too none the wiser. Is there a theme here?

                Regards
                Colin

                >I am new to writing web services, but not to Perl.
                >Is there a how-to
                >on what to do? I have the "Web Services with
                >Perl" book from
                >O'Reilly, but I'm still confused.

                Ron,

                I've got some examples I created to help people get up
                to speed as painlessly as possible. I can mail them to
                you if you want.

                BTW: Don't feel alone at being perplexed. I had *a
                lot* of difficulty comprehending where to start and
                how to do it. In my opinion, SOAP::Lite has way too
                many ways to do things, documentated in too many
                places. I found I couldn't become productive with just
                the book, or just one web site, etc. My examples, of
                course, contribute to the problem. :) But, I don't try
                to cover every way to do things. Just the simplest
                (from my perspective as someone who wasn't "getting"
                it).

                Mark

              • Graham Bright
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 22, 2004
                  Hi Colin,

                  I gave up using Soap::Lite instead I used a mixture of LWP and MIME tools
                  for perl to simply post the formulated xml request to the server. I found
                  the documentation for Soap::Lite after 2 weeks very abstract, with no real
                  examples on the net.
                  Graham.

                  >From: "Colin Magee" <colin@...>
                  >To: "'Mark Fuller'" <amigo_boy2000@...>,"'reidyre'"
                  ><ron.reidy@...>
                  >CC: <soaplite@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [soaplite] how to
                  >Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:40:15 +0100
                  >
                  >Mark,
                  >
                  >Any chance you could mail the same examples to me? I too am new to web
                  >services but not to Perl, have bought the book "Web Services with Perl"
                  >and am too none the wiser. Is there a theme here?
                  >
                  >Regards
                  >Colin

                • flarneater
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
                    --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Magee" <colin@b...> wrote:
                    > Mark,
                    >
                    > Any chance you could mail the same examples to me? I too am new to web
                    > services but not to Perl, have bought the book "Web Services with Perl"
                    > and am too none the wiser. Is there a theme here?

                    Ditto. Some simple, complete examples, would be much appreciated.

                    I will say that I did have SOAP operating on some mod-perl enabled
                    servers, but it was decided (due to in-house security contraints) that
                    we could not use SOAP. Don't ask. Trust me on this one.

                    So, it was dropped, and I implemented some custom software to jump
                    through the required security hoops. However, the time has come where
                    we can start to look at SOAP again. Something fundamental has
                    obviously changed in the last few years with respect to the perl SOAP
                    implementation, since I didn't have any trouble at all getting it to
                    work the first time.

                    Cheers!

                    -klm.