SOAP/XML-RPC/WSDL help

  • lepi68040
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2004
      Hello,

      I don't know if this is the right place for my problem, so if you can
      help me thanks, if not, sorry to bother you.

      I'm working on my student project and I'm totally lost and don't have
      any idea how to continue, and the deadline is 1.9.2004. Please help,
      'couse i'm loosing myself in this XML/SOAP/RPC/WSDL things......

      A little discription.
      I have to define and make something like virtual driver for serial
      port (RS232), only it isn't really a driver. The server has to be on
      Linux box (physical port(s) is/are there), and the other side (client)
      is not inportant. It is not important what is connected on serial
      port. Also, there is no need to work on any kind of drivers on Windows
      or something, becouse that is not the point. I have to make an
      universal way to send/recive/control serial port on that server
      computer from anywhere. I know how to program for serial port on Linux
      (in C), and I have made some progress there. That low-level programing
      isn't the problem. The problem is how to make it work over the net, so
      that someone who wants to write a program on Windows or Mac can use
      something universal to access it (like XML). I HAVE TO USE XML-RPC or
      SOAP or WSDL or something like that. The problem is that I don't know
      how to use those technologies. I read some tutorials, guides on
      XML-RPC, SOAP and WSDL, and I'm totally lost now.
      BTW, I was planning to use Perl becouse I know something about it. (I
      don't know Java)

      So, if you can help me in any way (advice, similar example or
      something), please do. This is very important to me. I forget,
      everything must be secure (SSL or something).

      Thank you

      Tom
    • Tilman Baumann
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2004
        Sorry, can't help you with soaplite in this case.
        But why don't you use a telnet like protocol?
        SOAP isn't really made for streams.

        In a simple case you could just use netcat wrapped via a simple (x)inetd
        service.

        If you would like to add the ability to change serial port speed and
        other controll features, you need to ancapsulate it like telnet.
        It's a bit ugly but you ton;t really have a coice if you would like to
        multiplex two streams (control and data) into one tcp stream. (Without
        designing a mess like ftp *g*)

        MfG
        Tilman Baumann

        --
        Tilman Baumann

        pyramid computer GmbH
        Boetzinger Strasse 60
        D-79111 Freiburg

        They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
        - Benjamin Franklin