memory problems with FCGI and MIME

  • herwighenseler
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2004
      Hi experts,

      I'm writing a SOAP::Lite service using Apache and
      SOAP::Lite::Transport::FCGI. I'm calling a
      method which takes a file as a MIME attachment. Actually, I upload
      several files
      sequentially. After a file is uploaded, the process uses HUGE amounts
      of memory. When
      uploading a 2MB file, the memory requirement jumps from 25MB to
      100MB. What's worse,
      the memory isn't freed/garbage collected afterwards! When the apache
      spawns several of
      these processes, my main memory is consumed quite fast and the
      machine starts to trash.
      This makes FCGI (where the process isn't terminated after a request)
      unusable for my
      project and I have to revert back to CGI where I have to face big
      startup costs for each
      request.

      - Why does the memory footprint of the process jump so high?

      - Why isn't the memory freed? A Bug in SOAP::Lite or MIME?

      - Am I missing something?

      I hacked around the problem with my own transport which exists the
      FCGi while loop after
      a method for uploadind a file has been called. Not a nice workaround.

      TIA for any help,
      Herwig