Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite and WSDL

  • Mark Fuller
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2004
      I'll take a stab at this.

      I'd say the "apart" portion of your observation is the
      most important part of Web Services. The value of WS
      is hardware- and language-neutral interoperability
      within a "Service Oriented Architecture."

      I'm not sure I agree with all the projected nirvana
      surrounding WS and SOA, but the role WSDL plays is to
      enable service *interchange* at the implementation
      level. A WS author can register a service in UDDI. A
      WS consumer can discover that service. If WSDL is
      used, UDDI can register the technical details from it
      (instead of the author manually specifying access
      points, biding templates, etc.) The consumer (assuming
      she has a software tool capable of this) can discover
      the service and use it immediately (design-time
      binding) with little understanding of the WS's parms
      and results.

      To me, its best viewed as abstraction. Web Services
      are a way of abstracting methods and data via an API
      (SOAP). WSDL is just a way to abstract the API. If
      you're consuming your own WS, or the consumers are
      very static, then the benefit of WSDL is minimal. But
      then, I'd say so is the benefit of WS. (If there's no
      benefit abstracting the details of the API in a
      standardized manner, there's probably similar benefit
      abstracting the method and data in a standardized
      manner).

      Mark

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail