Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite and WSDL

  • David Greenberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2004
      > /apart/ from enabling them to interact
      > with other services which are implemented in a more strongly-typed
      > language?

      That's a pretty big deal when you have a lot of code in both Perl and Java.

      -David

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2004
        I'll take a stab at this.

        I'd say the "apart" portion of your observation is the
        most important part of Web Services. The value of WS
        is hardware- and language-neutral interoperability
        within a "Service Oriented Architecture."

        I'm not sure I agree with all the projected nirvana
        surrounding WS and SOA, but the role WSDL plays is to
        enable service *interchange* at the implementation
        level. A WS author can register a service in UDDI. A
        WS consumer can discover that service. If WSDL is
        used, UDDI can register the technical details from it
        (instead of the author manually specifying access
        points, biding templates, etc.) The consumer (assuming
        she has a software tool capable of this) can discover
        the service and use it immediately (design-time
        binding) with little understanding of the WS's parms
        and results.

        To me, its best viewed as abstraction. Web Services
        are a way of abstracting methods and data via an API
        (SOAP). WSDL is just a way to abstract the API. If
        you're consuming your own WS, or the consumers are
        very static, then the benefit of WSDL is minimal. But
        then, I'd say so is the benefit of WS. (If there's no
        benefit abstracting the details of the API in a
        standardized manner, there's probably similar benefit
        abstracting the method and data in a standardized
        manner).

        Mark

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail