SOAP::Lite and WSDL

  • jamievicary2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2004
      Dear all,

      As Perl is a very loosely-typed language, what use is WSDL for
      services based on SOAP::Lite, /apart/ from enabling them to interact
      with other services which are implemented in a more strongly-typed
      language?

      Regards,

      Jamie.
    • David Greenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2004
        > /apart/ from enabling them to interact
        > with other services which are implemented in a more strongly-typed
        > language?

        That's a pretty big deal when you have a lot of code in both Perl and Java.

        -David

        As Perl is a very loosely-typed language, what use is WSDL for
        services based on SOAP::Lite, /apart/ from enabling them to interact
        with other services which are implemented in a more strongly-typed
        language?

        Regards,

        Jamie.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Mark Fuller
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 17, 2004
          I'll take a stab at this.

          I'd say the "apart" portion of your observation is the
          most important part of Web Services. The value of WS
          is hardware- and language-neutral interoperability
          within a "Service Oriented Architecture."

          I'm not sure I agree with all the projected nirvana
          surrounding WS and SOA, but the role WSDL plays is to
          enable service *interchange* at the implementation
          level. A WS author can register a service in UDDI. A
          WS consumer can discover that service. If WSDL is
          used, UDDI can register the technical details from it
          (instead of the author manually specifying access
          points, biding templates, etc.) The consumer (assuming
          she has a software tool capable of this) can discover
          the service and use it immediately (design-time
          binding) with little understanding of the WS's parms
          and results.

          To me, its best viewed as abstraction. Web Services
          are a way of abstracting methods and data via an API
          (SOAP). WSDL is just a way to abstract the API. If
          you're consuming your own WS, or the consumers are
          very static, then the benefit of WSDL is minimal. But
          then, I'd say so is the benefit of WS. (If there's no
          benefit abstracting the details of the API in a
          standardized manner, there's probably similar benefit
          abstracting the method and data in a standardized
          manner).

          Mark

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail