SOAP install can't find XML::Parser::Expat in XML/Parser.pm

  • webm_cfk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2004
      I've never had to install a Perl module before, so I apologize in
      advance if I'm overlooking something obvious.

      XML::Parser and Expat were NOT already on my system. Also I had to
      install them in a local directory: /home/hobbs/mystuff.

      Expat and XML::Parser seemed to build fine (I passed in the
      appropriate args to the configure and perl Makefile.PL to indicate
      where I was building these modules). XML::Parser's tests (run with
      make test) went OK.

      I set PERL5LIB to /home/hobbs/mystuff

      Now when doing perl Makefile.PL for SOAP I get this error:

      Warning XML::Parser failed to load: Can't locate loadable object for
      module XML::Parser::Expat in @INC (@INC
      contains /home/hobbs/mystuff /usr/lib/perl5 more perl libs...)
      at /home/hobbs/mystuff/XML/Parser.pm line 14

      Compilation failed in require at /home/hobbs/mystuff/XML/Parser.pm at
      line 14 ...

      I've copied Expat.pm to every directory I can think of under mystuff,
      but perhaps the load is looking for something else?

      Any pointers would be most appreciated!

      Terri
    • Victor A. Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2004
        Teri,

        > XML::Parser and Expat were NOT already on my system. Also I had to
        > install them in a local directory: /home/hobbs/mystuff.

        Have you tried http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#How_install_private
        ??

        --
        V�ctor A. Rodr�guez (http://www.bit-man.com.ar)
        El bit Fantasma (bit-man)
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2004
          The Perl module simply links against a dynamic library (.so on *NIX-like
          systems, .DLL on win32 systems) - it is the library (and not the .pm file)
          that it's not finding. You have 3 basic options:

          1) Staticly link the expat library into the Perl module (probably not the
          right option unless you're redistributing the binary, and even then not
          always needed)
          2) Copy the libexpat.so (or whatever the name is) to the directory with
          other binary (non-pm) files for Expat.pm (probably
          site_perl/i686...yourarch.../auto/XML or something like that)
          3) (Best idea) configure your system to search for shared libraries under
          ~/lib and make sure you make install expat to ~/

          Issac