Re: [soaplite] Notice: perl -W

  • Víctor A. Rodríguez
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi Malte,

      > i've had a problem with getting no responses from my SOAP::Lite Server.
      > This "error" was due
      > to the fact that i used "perl -W" in the first line of my server-script.
      > I have not found
      > a notice to this problem in the documentation. I know that this is not a
      > bug of SOAP::Lite but
      > would propose that someone puts this notice into the Cookbook or the
      > users-guide as other
      > persons could have similar trouble if they try to use perl -W.

      I think I had the same problem some time ago. When using perl -w and a
      Pure Perl XML::Parser it becomes soooo sloooooooow.

      Take a look at http://trex.sourceforge.net/users/en/first.html#require

      Cheers.
      --
      Víctor A. Rodríguez (http://www.bit-man.com.ar)
      El bit Fantasma (bit-man)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004

        Dear all:

        This is also the answer to my previous post: [soaplite] CGI: IIS 6 behaving differently to IIS 5. Removed the shebang line from the server side script, which contained the -w switch, and hey presto.

        The script was generating warnings. It seems IIS 5 is a lot more forgiving of this than IIS 6.

        Thanks for the hint!
        Phil

        "Víctor_A._Rodríguez" <victor@...> wrote:
        Hi Malte,

        > i've had a problem with getting no responses from my SOAP::Lite Server.
        > This "error" was due
        > to the fact that i used "perl -W" in the first line of my server-script.
        > I have not found
        > a notice to this problem in the documentation. I know that this is not a
        > bug of SOAP::Lite but
        > would propose that someone puts this notice into the Cookbook or the
        > users-guide as other
        > persons could have similar trouble if they try to use perl -W.

        I think I had the same problem some time ago. When using perl -w and a
        Pure Perl XML::Parser it becomes soooo sloooooooow.

        Take a look at http://trex.sourceforge.net/users/en/first.html#require

        Cheers.
        --
        Víctor A. Rodríguez (http://www.bit-man.com.ar)
        El bit Fantasma (bit-man)
        Life hacker

      • Duncan Cameron
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
          Huebner, Malte wrote:
          >Hi,
          >
          >as i can see there are more people having problems with this. I think there should really
          >be a note on the soap-lite site for other developers.
          >
          >Btw: I only had trouble with -W (upper case), not with -w .
          >
          >Question: is this a bug?

          Internally SOAP::Lite does turn off warnings at various points because of deliberate coding techniques that would otherwise cause warnings to be issued. Using -W has the effect of always issuing the warnings.
          Whether this is a problem may depend on the environment in which you are running.
          Using -W is not a problem when using an HTTP daemon; I get lots of warnings but it still works.
          You didn't say what your environment is. If there is a clearly repeatable problem then it does deserve a note in the documentation. Please can you clarify what you are doing?

          Regards
          Duncan