Notice: perl -W

  • Huebner, Malte
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
      Notice: perl -W

      Hi,

      i've had a problem with getting no responses from my SOAP::Lite Server. This "error" was due
      to the fact that i used "perl -W" in the first line of my server-script. I have not found
      a notice to this problem in the documentation. I know that this is not a bug of SOAP::Lite but
      would propose that someone puts this notice into the Cookbook or the users-guide as other
      persons could have similar trouble if they try to use perl -W.

      Best Regards,
      Malte

    • Víctor A. Rodríguez
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hi Malte,

        > i've had a problem with getting no responses from my SOAP::Lite Server.
        > This "error" was due
        > to the fact that i used "perl -W" in the first line of my server-script.
        > I have not found
        > a notice to this problem in the documentation. I know that this is not a
        > bug of SOAP::Lite but
        > would propose that someone puts this notice into the Cookbook or the
        > users-guide as other
        > persons could have similar trouble if they try to use perl -W.

        I think I had the same problem some time ago. When using perl -w and a
        Pure Perl XML::Parser it becomes soooo sloooooooow.

        Take a look at http://trex.sourceforge.net/users/en/first.html#require

        Cheers.
        --
        Víctor A. Rodríguez (http://www.bit-man.com.ar)
        El bit Fantasma (bit-man)
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004

          Dear all:

          This is also the answer to my previous post: [soaplite] CGI: IIS 6 behaving differently to IIS 5. Removed the shebang line from the server side script, which contained the -w switch, and hey presto.

          The script was generating warnings. It seems IIS 5 is a lot more forgiving of this than IIS 6.

          Thanks for the hint!
          Phil

          "Víctor_A._Rodríguez" <victor@...> wrote:
          Hi Malte,

          > i've had a problem with getting no responses from my SOAP::Lite Server.
          > This "error" was due
          > to the fact that i used "perl -W" in the first line of my server-script.
          > I have not found
          > a notice to this problem in the documentation. I know that this is not a
          > bug of SOAP::Lite but
          > would propose that someone puts this notice into the Cookbook or the
          > users-guide as other
          > persons could have similar trouble if they try to use perl -W.

          I think I had the same problem some time ago. When using perl -w and a
          Pure Perl XML::Parser it becomes soooo sloooooooow.

          Take a look at http://trex.sourceforge.net/users/en/first.html#require

          Cheers.
          --
          Víctor A. Rodríguez (http://www.bit-man.com.ar)
          El bit Fantasma (bit-man)
          Life hacker

        • Duncan Cameron
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
            Huebner, Malte wrote:
            >Hi,
            >
            >as i can see there are more people having problems with this. I think there should really
            >be a note on the soap-lite site for other developers.
            >
            >Btw: I only had trouble with -W (upper case), not with -w .
            >
            >Question: is this a bug?

            Internally SOAP::Lite does turn off warnings at various points because of deliberate coding techniques that would otherwise cause warnings to be issued. Using -W has the effect of always issuing the warnings.
            Whether this is a problem may depend on the environment in which you are running.
            Using -W is not a problem when using an HTTP daemon; I get lots of warnings but it still works.
            You didn't say what your environment is. If there is a clearly repeatable problem then it does deserve a note in the documentation. Please can you clarify what you are doing?

            Regards
            Duncan