page fault in Perl58.dll on Windows 98

  • Robert Eden
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2004
      I'm a developer for XMLTV (http://www.xmltv.org) also hosted on
      sourceforge. I've developed a TV listing grabber using SOAP::Lite
      with Zap2IT.com's DataDirect service.

      Some users using a PERLAPP version of my code on Windows 98 experience
      a page fault error in perl58.dll when using my data grabber.

      I initially had the same problem on a Windows 98 box. At the time I
      was able to isolate the crash to the acutal SOAP method call to the
      server. The error occurred if I ran the PERLAPP generated EXE or even
      my Windows XP development system's Perl install (via a shared drive
      letter), so it doesn't seem to be related to PERLAPP. (PERLAPP
      basically copies the needed pieces of the source systems perl install)

      The crash is based on the size of data returned by the SOAP call. I
      could fetch 3 days of TV listings, but 4 would crash.

      At the time an old version of Perl was on my Win98 box (but not used
      by the PerlAPP EXE). Removing that old version from the system fixed
      the problem for me. Even after re-installing Perl it hasn't broken
      again.

      I'm now getting bug reports from others with this crash.
      Unfortunately, I can no longer replicate it. Some of these users
      swear they have never installed Perl.

      Have any of you SOAP::Lite folks seen this? I've searched the bug and
      list archives but I see no reference to it.

      Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?

      Robert
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2004
        You are the first person to report this issue. I am adding your findings
        to the release notes for the product. For this, it would be great if you
        could tell me what versions of Perl you were using at the time the error
        occurred, what version of Perl fixed the problem, and how big the
        message was that caused the page fault.

        As for reproducing the problem, the only logical thing I can suggest is
        to reinstall the version of Perl on your Windows 98 box that gave you
        problems. Because no one else has reported this, I am not sure what else
        to advise.

        Please let me know what the status of this issue is, and what you have
        done to resolve/workaround it.

        Thanks,
        Byrne

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 25, 2004
          Robert,

          I'm not sure if that's your case, but see if this old message helps:
          way controls are implemented in ActivePerl it's important that
          versions of Perl used to built a control and Perl used to run it were
          compatible (there are not hard rules though; I've seen 5.6.0 and
          5.6.1 not working together :().

          To make the long story thort:
          1) minimal DLL may NOT work with your perl distribution if its
          version is *significantly* different (don't ask for more precise
          definition) from one that was used to built Lite.DLL.
          2) standalone version may NOT work if, again, the version is
          significantly different, AND it is early in PATH, so that its dll
          (perl58.dll or similar) loads before perl dll included with
          standalone Lite.dll. PATH manipulations may help (that's why Perl
          reinstall solves the problem in some cases).

          I have NOT seen the problem you're describing; the worse case is that
          Lite.dll just doesn't start with various messages (like "unspecified
          error"). It seems like you're having problems because Lite.dll and
          perlapp were built using different versions of Perl.

          Your best bet would be to build Lite.dll and perlapp using the same
          distribution. As far as I understand you already have ActivePerl PDK,
          so you can build Lite.dll using make-com-minimal and
          make-com-standalone batch files (in examples/COM/ directory of the
          distribution package). Then use it to build your perlapp. Hope this
          helps.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          --- Byrne Reese <byrne@...> wrote:

          > You are the first person to report this issue. I am adding your
          > findings
          > to the release notes for the product. For this, it would be great
          > if you
          > could tell me what versions of Perl you were using at the time the
          > error
          > occurred, what version of Perl fixed the problem, and how big the
          > message was that caused the page fault.
          >
          > As for reproducing the problem, the only logical thing I can
          > suggest is
          > to reinstall the version of Perl on your Windows 98 box that gave
          > you
          > problems. Because no one else has reported this, I am not sure what
          > else
          > to advise.
          >
          > Please let me know what the status of this issue is, and what you
          > have
          > done to resolve/workaround it.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Byrne
          >
          > Robert Eden wrote:
          >
          > > I'm a developer for XMLTV (http://www.xmltv.org)
          > > <http://www.xmltv.org%29> also hosted on
          > > sourceforge. I've developed a TV listing grabber using
          > SOAP::Lite
          > > with Zap2IT.com's DataDirect service.
          > >
          > > Some users using a PERLAPP version of my code on Windows 98
          > experience
          > > a page fault error in perl58.dll when using my data grabber.
          > >
          > > I initially had the same problem on a Windows 98 box. At the
          > time I
          > > was able to isolate the crash to the acutal SOAP method call to
          > the
          > > server. The error occurred if I ran the PERLAPP generated EXE or
          > even
          > > my Windows XP development system's Perl install (via a shared
          > drive
          > > letter), so it doesn't seem to be related to PERLAPP. (PERLAPP
          > > basically copies the needed pieces of the source systems perl
          > install)
          > >
          > > The crash is based on the size of data returned by the SOAP call.
          > > could fetch 3 days of TV listings, but 4 would crash.
          > >
          > > At the time an old version of Perl was on my Win98 box (but not
          > used
          > > by the PerlAPP EXE). Removing that old version from the system
          > fixed
          > > the problem for me. Even after re-installing Perl it hasn't
          > broken
          > > again.
          > >
          > > I'm now getting bug reports from others with this crash.
          > > Unfortunately, I can no longer replicate it. Some of these users
          > > swear they have never installed Perl.
          > >
          > > Have any of you SOAP::Lite folks seen this? I've searched the
          > bug and
          > > list archives but I see no reference to it.
          > >
          > > Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?
          > >
          > > Robert

        • Robert Eden
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2004
            Thanks for the input Paul...

            I don't remember where exactly I got SOAP::Lite, probably using PPM. I
            haven't had a compile enviornment on this machine for a while. I don't
            think I have too much control which DLLs are used.

            Since the issue was raised, I've replaced my Win98 machine, so I don't
            see the problem any more. I've also replaced the PC and completely
            reloaded Perl on the machine used to run PerlAPP and generate the EXE.

            I'll post on the XMLTV list to see if any users are still having the
            problem. I do know it was size related and I could get around it by
            breaking the request down into multiple parts.

            Robert
          • Robert Eden
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2004
              I've gotten confirmation that some Windows 98 user still are getting
              the perl crash when they try and fetch a large amount of data using
              SOAP::Lite.

              I no longer have a Win98 machine, but if a SOAP::Lite developer has one
              and wants to know how to duplicate the problem, let me know.

              Robert