how to specify server certificates for https

  • walter
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2004
      Hi folks,
      i'm trying to use https protocol with a daemon soaplite server. In
      docs is written that it is sufficient the client to issues the
      request with "https://..." but the handshaking fails. I think due to
      missing certificates but I don't know how to specify their path for
      the server.

      I also tried to use env vars HTTPS_CERT_FILE/KEY but unsuccessfully.

      Any hint ?

      the simple code of the server follows:
      ############################à

      -> new ( LocalPort => 9000 )
      # specify list of objects-by-reference here
      -> objects_by_reference(qw(WS::uploadData))
      # specify path to My/Examples.pm here
      -> dispatch_to('WS')
      ;

      print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, "\n" if $verbose;
      $daemon->handle;
      #########################################à

      Walter
    • Sadanand Kalasabail
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2004
        Hi,

        What packages are installed for SSL. Make sure that
        these installed LWP & SSL etc. I had missed out the
        ssl which had given me problems during my project last

        year. Let me know the details.

        regards

        Sade

        --- walter <vendra@...> wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        > i'm trying to use https protocol with a daemon
        > soaplite server. In
        > docs is written that it is sufficient the client to
        > issues the
        > request with "https://..." but the handshaking
        > fails. I think due to
        > missing certificates but I don't know how to specify
        > their path for
        > the server.
        >
        > I also tried to use env vars HTTPS_CERT_FILE/KEY but
        > unsuccessfully.
        >
        > Any hint ?
        >
        > the simple code of the server follows:
        > ############################�
        >
        > my $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
        > -> new ( LocalPort => 9000 )
        > # specify list of objects-by-reference here
        > -> objects_by_reference(qw(WS::uploadData))
        > # specify path to My/Examples.pm here
        > -> dispatch_to('WS')
        > ;
        >
        > print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url,
        > "\n" if $verbose;
        > $daemon->handle;
        > #########################################�
        >

        > Walter

      • walter
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2004

          > What packages are installed for SSL. Make sure that
          > these installed LWP & SSL etc. I had missed out the
          > ssl which had given me problems during my project last
          >
          > year. Let me know the details.

          Hi, thank you for the reply ...
          Below is the partial output of the 'perl Makefile.PL' command when
          installing the SOAP-Lite-0.60 package. All packages look ok. Still
          i'm wondering how does the server is made aware of the certificates
          location.
          Besides, Is there a way to tell the server to force the client to use
          it's own valid certificates in order to avoid anonymous access ?

          Thanks Sadanand ...

          Walter

          ############### BEGIN

          Feature Prerequisites Install?
          ----------------------------- ---------------------------- --------
          Core Package [*] URI always
          [*] MIME::Base64
          [*] XML::Parser (v2.23)
          Client HTTP support [*] LWP::UserAgent [ yes ]
          Client HTTPS support [*] Crypt::SSLeay [ yes ]
          Client SMTP/sendmail support [ ] MIME::Lite [ no ]
          Client FTP support [*] IO::File [ yes ]
          [*] Net::FTP
          Standalone HTTP server [*] HTTP::Daemon [ yes ]
          Apache/mod_perl server [*] Apache [ yes ]
          FastCGI server [ ] FCGI [ no ]
          POP3 server [*] Net::POP3 [ no ]
          [ ] MIME::Parser
          IO server [*] IO::File [ yes ]
          MQ transport support [ ] MQSeries [ no ]
          JABBER transport support [ ] Net::Jabber [ no ]
          MIME messages [ ] MIME::Parser [ no ]
          SSL Support for TCP Transport [*] IO::Socket::SSL [ yes ]
          Compression support for HTTP [ ] Compress::Zlib [ no ]
          MIME interoperability w/ Axis [ ] MIME::Parser (v6.106) [ no ]
          --- An asterix '[*]' indicates if the module is currently installed.

          Do you want to proceed with this configuration? [yes]

          ############################################### END

          > --- walter <vendra@i...> wrote:
          > > Hi folks,
          > > i'm trying to use https protocol with a daemon
          > > soaplite server. In
          > > docs is written that it is sufficient the client to
          > > issues the
          > > request with "https://..." but the handshaking
          > > fails. I think due to
          > > missing certificates but I don't know how to specify
          > > their path for
          > > the server.
          > >
          > > I also tried to use env vars HTTPS_CERT_FILE/KEY but
          > > unsuccessfully.
          > >
          > > Any hint ?
          > >
          > > the simple code of the server follows:
          > > ############################à
          > >
          > > my $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
          > > -> new ( LocalPort => 9000 )
          > > # specify list of objects-by-reference here
          > > -> objects_by_reference(qw(WS::uploadData))
          > > # specify path to My/Examples.pm here
          > > -> dispatch_to('WS')
          > > ;
          > >
          > > print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url,
          > > "\n" if $verbose;
          > > $daemon->handle;
          > > #########################################à
          > >

          > > Walter

        • Christopher Parker
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
            --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "walter" <vendra@i...> wrote:
            > Hi, thank you for the reply ...
            > Below is the partial output of the 'perl Makefile.PL' command when
            > installing the SOAP-Lite-0.60 package. All packages look ok. Still
            > i'm wondering how does the server is made aware of the certificates
            > location.
            > Besides, Is there a way to tell the server to force the client to
            use
            > it's own valid certificates in order to avoid anonymous access ?

            ***DISCLAIMER***
            I am still learning, so if anything I say is incorrect, please accept
            my apologies in advance.
            ***/DISCLAIMER***

            I'm positive your Web server (Apache with mod_ssl, for example) is
            going to take care of the location of your certificate. AFAIK, this
            shouldn't be something you have to worry about any longer. Your
            certificate's location (if using mod_ssl) is specified in ssl.conf.
            Why would you have to specify the location of your certificate
            elsewhere if it's specified in ssl.conf?

            First, make sure your SSL implementation is working correctly. Once
            this is done *****AND TESTED*****, then read this:
            http://conf.soaplite.com/p2p/29.html (I'm assuming you've already
            read this, based on your original message.)

            Do you have the Crypt::SSLeay module installed? If not, then you need
            to do so.

            Once you've tested that your port bindings for HTTPS are working, and
            once you have Crypt::SSLeay installed, then your handshake should
            follow through.

            Has this helped any?