SOAP::Lite server and generating WSDL

  • perlgirl00
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
      Hello All,
      I was trying to find a tool to generate WSDL from some services
      implemented using SOAP::Lite. I have to use some of these using an
      apache axis client. I see that Apache Axis can generate WSDL from any
      service deployed with it. SOAP::Lite does not seem to have any tool
      to generate WSDL from a priliminary google search.
      Can anyone explain why there is no such tool available?
      I see that perl is untyped. If I was to write a WSDL for a service
      that responds with a complex perl Hash, how would I go about that?
      Has anyone out there experimented with this?
      Thank you,
      Yogini Parkhi
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2004
        This is extraordinarily difficult using Perl5 - that is because Perl5 is
        incredibly loosely typed. Furthermore, there is no [easy] way to
        introspect a perl program and extra the data necessary to generate a
        WSDL file.

        Perl6 - currently being developed - will change all of this however.

        perlgirl00 wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > I was trying to find a tool to generate WSDL from some services
        > implemented using SOAP::Lite. I have to use some of these using an
        > apache axis client. I see that Apache Axis can generate WSDL from any
        > service deployed with it. SOAP::Lite does not seem to have any tool
        > to generate WSDL from a priliminary google search.
        > Can anyone explain why there is no such tool available?
        > I see that perl is untyped. If I was to write a WSDL for a service
        > that responds with a complex perl Hash, how would I go about that?
        > Has anyone out there experimented with this?
        > Thank you,
        > Yogini Parkhi

      • Mike Schroeder
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2004
          One idea I am trying out is to add an inline YAML definition of each
          method (in a POD section), and then write a WSDL generator that uses the
          YAML definition. A fringe benefit is that the same YAML definition can
          also be used for other purposes, such as generating automated tests.

          So inside the POD for a given method, you add something like:

          =begin api_spec

          --- #YAML:1.0
          method: mymethod
          module: MyClass
          This is a generic description
          parameters:
          - parameter: id_code
          required: yes
          type: integer
          maximum: 8
          minimum: 1
          - parameter: balance_limit
          required: no
          type: amount

          =end api_spec

          Our efforts right now are focused on using this to do automated testing
          of our APIs, but I could see extending it a bit for generating WSDLs too.

          Of course this is not as elegant as a more integrated Perl6 approach.

          Just an option - ymmv.

          Mike.

          Byrne Reese wrote:

          >This is extraordinarily difficult using Perl5 - that is because Perl5 is
          >incredibly loosely typed. Furthermore, there is no [easy] way to
          >introspect a perl program and extra the data necessary to generate a
          >WSDL file.
          >
          >Perl6 - currently being developed - will change all of this however.
          >
          >perlgirl00 wrote:
          >

          >>Hello All,
          >>I was trying to find a tool to generate WSDL from some services
          >>implemented using SOAP::Lite. I have to use some of these using an
          >>apache axis client. I see that Apache Axis can generate WSDL from any
          >>service deployed with it. SOAP::Lite does not seem to have any tool
          >>to generate WSDL from a priliminary google search.
          >>Can anyone explain why there is no such tool available?
          >>I see that perl is untyped. If I was to write a WSDL for a service
          >>that responds with a complex perl Hash, how would I go about that?
          >>Has anyone out there experimented with this?
          >>Thank you,
          >>Yogini Parkhi

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joe Breeden
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 2004
            I would be very interested in seeing this option explored as I am having
            issues with implementing SOAP::Lite services in out environment (mixed
            with Perl, .Net, and AXIS) relating to the lack of WSDL support in
            SOAP::Lite and the general messiness of using the WSDL::Generator perl
            module.

            Byrne Reese wrote:

            >This is extraordinarily difficult using Perl5 - that is because Perl5
            is
            >incredibly loosely typed. Furthermore, there is no [easy] way to
            >introspect a perl program and extra the data necessary to generate a
            >WSDL file.
            >
            >Perl6 - currently being developed - will change all of this however.
            >
            >perlgirl00 wrote:
            >

            >>Hello All,
            >>I was trying to find a tool to generate WSDL from some services
            >>implemented using SOAP::Lite. I have to use some of these using an
            >>apache axis client. I see that Apache Axis can generate WSDL from any
            >>service deployed with it. SOAP::Lite does not seem to have any tool
            >>to generate WSDL from a priliminary google search.
            >>Can anyone explain why there is no such tool available?
            >>I see that perl is untyped. If I was to write a WSDL for a service
            >>that responds with a complex perl Hash, how would I go about that?
            >>Has anyone out there experimented with this?
            >>Thank you,
            >>Yogini Parkhi

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Mike Schroeder
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 21, 2004
              Joe -- attached is an incomplete script (I hacked out some internal
              code) that recurses a directory (with File::Find) extracts the YAML
              api_spec section (using a subclass of Pod::Parser), converts to a Perl
              structure (using YAML's Load method), and then starts cycling through
              the structure to determine what tests to do -- that's as much progress
              as I've made for the moment. Keep in mind, this script was original
              written for automated testing, not for WSDL generation, but the basic
              framework should still be valid.

              Maybe something like Template::Toolkit would be appropriate for building
              the WSDL at that point? I have skimmed the basic structure of a WSDL,
              but have not dug in too deep yet, so if someone knows the template
              approach won't work, please let me know.

            • Alasdair Allan
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21, 2004
                > > > One idea I am trying out is to add an inline YAML definition of each
                > > > method (in a POD section), and then write a WSDL generator...
                > >
                > > I would be very interested in seeing this option explored as I am having
                > > issues with implementing SOAP::Lite services in out environment (mixed
                > > with Perl, .Net, and AXIS) relating to the lack of WSDL support in
                > > SOAP::Lite and the general messiness of using the WSDL::Generator perl
                > > module.
                >
                > ...attached is an incomplete script (I hacked out some internal
                > code) that recurses a directory (with File::Find) extracts the YAML
                > api_spec section (using a subclass of Pod::Parser), converts to a Perl
                > structure (using YAML's Load method)...>

                I'd also be very interested in seeing this explored, it sounds like a
                reasonable approach. If I get time over the weekend I'll see if I can have
                a look at it as well.

                Al.
              • Byrne Reese
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 21, 2004
                  One can see that great minds think alike. This too is similar to what I
                  was considering. I honestly didn't make the leap to YAML (shame on me) -
                  I was using Perl::POD.

                  As it turns out, the WSDL2Perl project uses the Template Toolkit...

                  Thanks for sharing your code.

                  I am in the process of soliciting funds from companies to fund
                  SOAP::Lite (I will be making an announcement soon if I can secure a
                  couple of companies first)... if I can, then we should see some
                  significant work being pouring into the project... to address this very
                  concern. Keep your fingers crossed everyone.