objects_by_reference

  • Jim Lancaster
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30 3:25 PM
      I've written an 'agent' to poll Windows event logs, parse them into XML,
      and send them to a server where they are written into a MySQL database.
      This part is working. Before transmitting each batch of events, the
      agent reads a local configuration file to obtain a 'device_id'
      identifier that is added to each event record.

      Now I'm trying to create a means for the agent to 'register' itself with
      the server to create a new 'device_id' if one doesn't already exist.
      The agent creates a configuration object that contains company id,
      hostname & ip address which needs to be accessible by the server. The
      server would use this information to create a new device table entry,
      spawning a new device_id, which needs to be added to the configuration
      object. This expanded configuration object would then be used by other
      agent methods for various purposes before finally being written out to
      an XML configuration file.

      In the book, 'Programming Web Services with Perl' (Ch 7), I see that the
      authors create a midlevel class that allows the client and server to
      share an object, apparently by using the 'objects_by_reference' method
      at the server. This looks like what I need, but I'm not clear on the
      concept.

      Do the server and the agent(client) have to be subclasses of a common
      class in order for this to work? Does the creation of the configuration
      object have to originate at the server? or can the agent create it and
      the server add to it as I have described?

      I humbly apologize for my ignorance. Any help would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Jim
    • Jim Lancaster
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31 10:59 AM
        I think I'm getting it. It appears that 'objects_by_reference' only
        comes into play when the server needs to share objects with another
        class on the server. The client classes are completely separate. I
        modified the server to use the cfg data passed by the client to generate
        a new device id and return it, whereupon the agent adds it to its cfg
        object.

        If anyone has any thoughts about my approach, please pipe in.

        Jim