Re: Loading Soap.Lite for C# Client

  • Eric Amick
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2004
      On 27 Mar 2004 12:47:27 -0000, you wrote:

      >I see. So this is, behind the scenes, actually a SOAP::Lite client
      >connecting to a SOAP::Lite server using C# as a wrapper (using COM). This
      >isn't really using SOAP in a generic way as it is intended then. I suppose I
      >could build my application this way, but it seems to me that it would be
      >much better to use a more "native" mechanism for connecting with C# where I
      >actually generate the stubs using a WSDL file. Here are the steps to
      >achieving what I want as far as I can tell:
      >

      >1. Create a SOAP::Lite server (CGI)
      >2. Create a WSDL file that reflects what the server is capable of
      >3. Generate C# stubs using the "Add Web Reference" functionality in
      >Visual Studio with the WSDL file created in step 2
      >4. Create C# application that utilizes the functions provided by the
      >SOAP::Lite web service
      >

      >It would seem that step 1 and 2 can have their order reversed. The problem I
      >am having is getting a good WSDL definition that can be used between C# and
      >SOAP::Lite. I've read all of the comments in the archive of this list on the
      >subject and many of them say, "you will have to just play around with the
      >WSDL file to get it to work." I'm sorry, but I'm just too dense to know what
      >that means. I've been reading over and trying to understand the SOAP spec,
      >however, it doesn't really clue me in as to what I need to bridge the gap in
      >this specific implementation. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have a
      >simple working sample (e.g. perl CGI file for the server and C#
      >solution/project for the client)? Maybe I'm asking too much, but this
      >doesn't seem like it should be so difficult. I would really appreciate your
      >help.

      All I can tell you is what I saw on soaplite.com. The list of features
      refers to a COM interface and mentions the existence of the DLL. I
      believe the DLL would need to be installed on the machine with the C#
      client, but since I've never used COM or C#, I can't be sure. If the
      server is written in Perl, there should be no need for the DLL on the
      server.

      --
      Eric Amick
      Columbia, MD