Re: Loading Soap.Lite for C# Client

  • eric-amick@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26 6:46 AM

      There are DLLs available at http://www.soaplite.com/download called SOAP-Lite-COM-minimal-latest.zip and SOAP-Lite-COM-standalone-latest.zip. The minimal version requires perl to be installed; the standalone version doesn't. I'm not sure why these files no longer have direct links on soaplite.com, though, so I make no promises.

      --
      Eric Amick
      Columbia, MD
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26 8:20 AM

        I see. So this is, behind the scenes, actually a SOAP::Lite client connecting to a SOAP::Lite server using C# as a wrapper (using COM). This isn’t really using SOAP in a generic way as it is intended then. I suppose I could build my application this way, but it seems to me that it would be much better to use a more “native” mechanism for connecting with C# where I actually generate the stubs using a WSDL file. Here are the steps to achieving what I want as far as I can tell:

        1. Create a SOAP::Lite server (CGI)
        2. Create a WSDL file that reflects what the server is capable of
        3. Generate C# stubs using the “Add Web Reference” functionality in Visual Studio with the WSDL file created in step 2
        4. Create C# application that utilizes the functions provided by the SOAP::Lite web service

        It would seem that step 1 and 2 can have their order reversed. The problem I am having is getting a good WSDL definition that can be used between C# and SOAP::Lite. I’ve read all of the comments in the archive of this list on the subject and many of them say, “you will have to just play around with the WSDL file to get it to work.” I’m sorry, but I’m just too dense to know what that means. I’ve been reading over and trying to understand the SOAP spec, however, it doesn’t really clue me in as to what I need to bridge the gap in this specific implementation. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have a simple working sample (e.g. perl CGI file for the server and C# solution/project for the client)? Maybe I’m asking too much, but this doesn’t seem like it should be so difficult. I would really appreciate your help.

        Please forgive me if I’ve come across sounding rude. I’m just 3 days into this now and getting a little worn down by it. It doesn’t usually take me so long to figure things out.

        Thanks again.

        -Matt

        >     Type typ = Type.GetTypeFromProgID("SOAP.Lite");
        >
        > appears to be loading a SOAP.Lite component. How does this component
        > get registered with component services. I have SOAP::Lite installed
        > through perl, I'm just not sure how to make it available through COM.
        > Does anyone know?

        There are DLLs available at http://www.soaplite.com/download called SOAP-Lite-COM-minimal-latest.zip and SOAP-Lite-COM-standalone-latest.zip. The minimal version requires perl to be installed; the standalone version doesn't. I'm not sure why these files no longer have direct links on soaplite.com, though, so I make no promises.

        --
        Eric Amick
        Columbia, MD

      • Eric Amick
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27 6:42 AM
          On 27 Mar 2004 12:47:27 -0000, you wrote:

          >I see. So this is, behind the scenes, actually a SOAP::Lite client
          >connecting to a SOAP::Lite server using C# as a wrapper (using COM). This
          >isn't really using SOAP in a generic way as it is intended then. I suppose I
          >could build my application this way, but it seems to me that it would be
          >much better to use a more "native" mechanism for connecting with C# where I
          >actually generate the stubs using a WSDL file. Here are the steps to
          >achieving what I want as far as I can tell:
          >

          >1. Create a SOAP::Lite server (CGI)
          >2. Create a WSDL file that reflects what the server is capable of
          >3. Generate C# stubs using the "Add Web Reference" functionality in
          >Visual Studio with the WSDL file created in step 2
          >4. Create C# application that utilizes the functions provided by the
          >SOAP::Lite web service
          >

          >It would seem that step 1 and 2 can have their order reversed. The problem I
          >am having is getting a good WSDL definition that can be used between C# and
          >SOAP::Lite. I've read all of the comments in the archive of this list on the
          >subject and many of them say, "you will have to just play around with the
          >WSDL file to get it to work." I'm sorry, but I'm just too dense to know what
          >that means. I've been reading over and trying to understand the SOAP spec,
          >however, it doesn't really clue me in as to what I need to bridge the gap in
          >this specific implementation. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have a
          >simple working sample (e.g. perl CGI file for the server and C#
          >solution/project for the client)? Maybe I'm asking too much, but this
          >doesn't seem like it should be so difficult. I would really appreciate your
          >help.

          All I can tell you is what I saw on soaplite.com. The list of features
          refers to a COM interface and mentions the existence of the DLL. I
          believe the DLL would need to be installed on the machine with the C#
          client, but since I've never used COM or C#, I can't be sure. If the
          server is written in Perl, there should be no need for the DLL on the
          server.

          --
          Eric Amick
          Columbia, MD