XMLRPC-Lite vs. SOAP-Lite

  • Jim Lancaster
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17 10:30 AM
      I've been reading 'Programming Web Services w/ Perl', which is a great
      book BTW. However, I'm not clear on something: Is XML-RPC limted to
      using HTTP as the transport mechanism, or can it also use HTTPS like
      SOAP? If so, I think XML-RPC is all I need.

      I'm trying to create a utility that will read log data, parse it into
      XML, then send it to a logging server where the data gets stored in a
      database. I've got the read/parse thing working fine, but the
      transport/store thing is an issue. <g> Since I will be sending the log
      data from remote servers over the Internet, I assumed I would eventually
      want to use the more secure HTTPS protocol.

      Thanks,

      Jim
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2004
        XML-RPC can use both HTTP and HTTPS. It is merely a function of the URL
        you use.

        The encryption etc is managed by the underlying LWP::UserAgent package,
        and of course Crypt::SSLeay.

        Make sure then that you have Crypt::SSLeay installed.