Returning a .NET DataSet to a .NET Client

  • Maurice McCabe
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2004
      Has anyone tried to return a .NET Dataset to a .NET client from a
      SOAPLite server?

      I want to be able to pass a list of queries from a .NET client and
      receive a DataSet of tables for each query which I want to display as a
      DataGrid on a web page.

      For example, I want the code to look something like the following:

      Dim mySOAPLiteServer as SOAPLiteServer = New SOAPLiteServer()
      Dim myQueries as New HashTable()
      myQueries("Authors") = "select * from Authors"
      myQueries("Publishers") = "select * from Publishers"
      Dim myDataSet as Dataset = mySOAPLiteServer.GetDataSet(myQueries)
      myWebPageAuthorsDataGrid.DataSource =
      myDataSet.Tables("Authors").DefaultView
      myWebPageAuthorsDataGrid.DataBind()

      Any ideas/suggestions?

      Maurice
    • Maurice McCabe
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
        I got this working. I created a module I am calling DataSet.pm which
        makes this possible. DataSet.pm contains the template for constucting
        the XML for a .NET DataSet. It constructs the XML from hashes passed in
        as parameters. These hashes were returned from the requested DBI
        queries. SOAPLite returns it as a SOAP message. A .NET client displays
        each DataSet table in a web page as a DataGrid (for example, using VB
        code similar to below).

        Anyone interested in this module (and the related WSDL file)?

        Maurice