Re: [soaplite] java client for SOAP::Lite server

  • Christof Damian
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2001
      Paul Kulchenko wrote:

      > Hi, Christof!
      >
      > > i got it working in java, up to the new(id => 1), which is received
      > > by
      > > the server. the server then returns a User object. I can't find an
      > > easy way to access the name() method from there though.
      > If you do NOT have User class on client side, then this method call
      > will be dispatched remotely and executed on server side. if you want
      > to dispatch it locally, you need to have User class on client side
      > (as in examples/pingpong.pl).

      no, i want to dispatch them remotely.

      > > all the examples i found on the net don't seem to return objects,
      > > just simple types (temperature, stockquote, ...)
      > You may take a look into examples/oo-apache.pl which accesses object
      > returned by ApacheSOAP implementation.

      i saw that, but i want it the other way around. i would like to see a
      java client for a SOAP::Lite server.

      the client should dispatch them remotely.

      christof
      --
      Christof Damian [ we are looking for perl and linux
      Technical Director programmers, more information @
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2001
        Christof Damian wrote:

        > > > all the examples i found on the net don't seem to return objects,
        > > > just simple types (temperature, stockquote, ...)
        > > You may take a look into examples/oo-apache.pl which accesses object
        > > returned by ApacheSOAP implementation.
        >
        > i saw that, but i want it the other way around. i would like to see a
        > java client for a SOAP::Lite server.
        >
        > the client should dispatch them remotely.
        >
        > christof

        I know this is the brute force way, but it works if you control
        the server. Just set the server to dump incoming and outgoing messages
        to a file and then use the Perl client to talk to it. After you have
        captured the messages, you can use whatever Java XML or SOAP package
        you want to send equivalent messages. SOAP-Lite isn't doing anything
        magical (though it sometimes looks that way), it is just serializing
        the function arguments into SOAP and reconstructing them at the
        other end. (And I don't mean that disparagingly at all.) Underneath
        it is all just specially formatted text strings.

        I'ld include an example, but my Java clients have all used
        a locally produced library so my examples wouldn't help. The effect
        was more like working with SOAP::Data and SOAP::Serializer classes
        directly to make a message and LWP::UserAgent to send it rather than
        using autodispatch. But it was fairly workable.

        Doug
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2001
          Hi, Douglas!

          Right. It works this way. The only thing that SOAP::Lite server does
          magically is returning modified object back on client side. Say you
          have an object on client side. When you make a call object itself can
          be modified, but there is no way to return modified object (because
          result of call is returned), so SOAP::Lite returns object as a SOAP
          Header. Client side will recover it and update your object
          accordingly. You can do the same thing in Java client, but you need
          to write this code yourself. Everything will work WITHOUT this piece,
          only Java client won't be able to see changes in object that came
          from server side (if any).

          Everything else is just "formatted text strings", no magic there :))

          > directly to make a message and LWP::UserAgent to send it rather
          In fact you can reuse Client libraries calling send_receive method,
          in that case you can get M-POST, redirects, and all low level code.
          Almost all components can be used separately. Be warned however about
          planned changes in send_receive interface. There will be more
          communications between Serializer, Transport and Deserializer. I'm
          making those changes as much compatible with current code as
          possible, but undocumented features may not work as worked before.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/