Re: [soaplite] Perl client to Java web service

  • Aaron Trevena
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2004
      On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Jason wrote:
      > So far I've been able to access the service fine, the problem is when
      > one of my methods on the service requires a complex Java class as a
      > paramater. I have no idea how to go about passing something like that
      > via SOAP. Can someone point me to a tutorial, or even better, perhaps
      > show me what the SOAP request would look like? I'll include a very
      > simple Java class. If I could just see one good example of a Java
      > class represented in SOAP, using complex object types, I could figure
      > out my problem.

      You could use complex types representing java objects, but it would make
      SOAP clients a lot less simple to write in any non-Java language. It would
      also defeat the purpose of SOAP - S is supposed to stand for Simple. If
      you want to pass java objects around then use RMI and CORBA - thats what
      they were made for.

      Of course you could always assume that people might not use java and so
      design a web interface that is transparent - take arguments, and construct
      the java object you want yourself rather than expecting the client to do
      it.

      The best solution would be to design a simple XML representation of what
      you want, and parse that into a new java object inside your webservice -
      you shouldn't expect client programmers to do your job for you ;) Then if
      you really want to make your webservice professional you could provide a
      WDSL so that client programmers can (in theory at least) built clients
      quickly without having to delve too much into complex data structures.

      If you want to build complex data (rather than complex data types) in SOAP
      see the <plug>SOAP::Data::Builder</plug> perl module, which should make
      your life easier.

      Hope that helps,

      A.

      --
      Aaron J Trevena - Perl Hacker, Kung Fu Geek, Internet Consultant
      AutoDia --- Automatic UML and HTML Specifications from Perl, C++