Re: [soaplite] Re: soap call - fire and forget

  • Bill Hess
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2004
      Is SOAP::Lite capable of perform asynchronous messages by itself. I
      assume the default is synchronous? And is this because of the way LWP
      works?

      One thing I notice in a system we have recently developed is that when
      using is over a LAN it works great, except for the synchronous
      interaction. But when I run the system over a corporate VPN the
      interaction is "choppy" - slower and not as consistent, but any
      transaction always seems to finish OK. Could this be a result of
      SOAP::Lite or do you think it is the VPN? I have used other commercial
      client/sever type programs on this same VPN and some work fine (same as
      being on the LAN) and others are "choppy" and some are downright
      unreliable and fail. Could this be a result of some of these systems
      are synchronous/asynchronous?

    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2004
        Ok, so the million dollar question is:

        "Is SOAP::Lite capable of performing asynchronous messaging by itself?"

        The answer is yes, but not natively. There are two forms of asynchronous
        messaging that I have seen:

        1) A sends message to B. A transmits to B a port/socket (that A opens) for
        the response to be sent to. When B is done processing the message, they
        post their response to the port A designated. This port is the means of
        correlating the response with the initial request. (BEA does something
        similar to this I believe, but they also use a Conversation ID for
        correlation as well, and if I am not mistaken, .NET does something like
        this as well.)

        This is known as a callback style of asynchronous messaging.

        2) A sends message to B. B returns to A a Correlation ID. B polls A for
        response using Correlation ID. (Of course this is the scenario that Grand
        Central implements through its network because it's implementation it
        doesn't depend upon the endpoint to actually comprehend ANY asynchronous
        protocol.)

        This is known as poll-based style of asynchronous messaging.

        Here is the problem with 1) both asynch implementations that I know of are
        proprietary protocols. It therefore requires that the server and client
        both understand how to exchange messages, and correlate in this manner.

        If I wanted to implement something like this in SOAP::Lite, I would
        suggest implementing a CGI that could process returned responses. The
        client would have to be able to generate a unique ID and trasmit it along
        with the URL the CGI listens on to the service being called. The service
        would then have to persist and return the correlation id provided by the
        client, and post the response to the CGI/port designated by A.

        I have actually implemented something like this, but again - it is highly
        proprietary and therefore not very portable.

        Asynchronous messaging is a highly desired feature enhancement for
        SOAP::Lite, but I am not sure which standard to turn to for a COMPLETE
        answer to the problem. WS-Correlation is only part of the problem - what
        is the HTTP protocol?

        As you

        ^byrne :/