Re: [soaplite] Re: soap call - fire and forget

  • Alasdair Allan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2004
      > thanks for the info, but it is more essential for us in the moment to
      > know how to implement a "notification" in SOAP::Lite

      Well Grand Central is (just?) a broker implementating of something called
      Contextual Web Services, the project I'm currently working on also makes
      extensive use of them.

      You should probably look at the WS-Coordination and WS-Transaction specs,
      to see how transaction contexts are use to establish the scope of a
      transaction within an operation is executed.

      Al.
    • Bill Hess
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2004
        Is SOAP::Lite capable of perform asynchronous messages by itself. I
        assume the default is synchronous? And is this because of the way LWP
        works?

        One thing I notice in a system we have recently developed is that when
        using is over a LAN it works great, except for the synchronous
        interaction. But when I run the system over a corporate VPN the
        interaction is "choppy" - slower and not as consistent, but any
        transaction always seems to finish OK. Could this be a result of
        SOAP::Lite or do you think it is the VPN? I have used other commercial
        client/sever type programs on this same VPN and some work fine (same as
        being on the LAN) and others are "choppy" and some are downright
        unreliable and fail. Could this be a result of some of these systems
        are synchronous/asynchronous?

      • Byrne Reese
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2004
          Ok, so the million dollar question is:

          "Is SOAP::Lite capable of performing asynchronous messaging by itself?"

          The answer is yes, but not natively. There are two forms of asynchronous
          messaging that I have seen:

          1) A sends message to B. A transmits to B a port/socket (that A opens) for
          the response to be sent to. When B is done processing the message, they
          post their response to the port A designated. This port is the means of
          correlating the response with the initial request. (BEA does something
          similar to this I believe, but they also use a Conversation ID for
          correlation as well, and if I am not mistaken, .NET does something like
          this as well.)

          This is known as a callback style of asynchronous messaging.

          2) A sends message to B. B returns to A a Correlation ID. B polls A for
          response using Correlation ID. (Of course this is the scenario that Grand
          Central implements through its network because it's implementation it
          doesn't depend upon the endpoint to actually comprehend ANY asynchronous
          protocol.)

          This is known as poll-based style of asynchronous messaging.

          Here is the problem with 1) both asynch implementations that I know of are
          proprietary protocols. It therefore requires that the server and client
          both understand how to exchange messages, and correlate in this manner.

          If I wanted to implement something like this in SOAP::Lite, I would
          suggest implementing a CGI that could process returned responses. The
          client would have to be able to generate a unique ID and trasmit it along
          with the URL the CGI listens on to the service being called. The service
          would then have to persist and return the correlation id provided by the
          client, and post the response to the CGI/port designated by A.

          I have actually implemented something like this, but again - it is highly
          proprietary and therefore not very portable.

          Asynchronous messaging is a highly desired feature enhancement for
          SOAP::Lite, but I am not sure which standard to turn to for a COMPLETE
          answer to the problem. WS-Correlation is only part of the problem - what
          is the HTTP protocol?

          As you

          ^byrne :/