trace always on, even when I don't ask for it

  • deepblah
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
      Folks,

      I've tried this on different machines (WinXP w/ ActivePerl 8xx; Linux
      w/ Perl 5.8.2; WinXP w/ cygwin perl 5.8.2) with the same result.

      Whether I just do 'use SOAP::Lite;' or 'use SOAP::Lite +trace => [qw
      (fault)];' or any other way... it traces 'all' calls.

      It's getting annoying now -- my script is almost done, and yet I
      can't seem to be able to turn off the debugging output. And if I
      redirect STDERR to /dev/null, I will not be able to use any 'warns'
      or 'dies' -- at least, they won't be very useful. Redirecting STDERR
      to a logfile doesn't help much, as it grows rather rapidly.

      I am using v 0.55 on WinXP ActivePerl and v 0.60 on the other two
      machines. Any ideas as to how I can silent the trace to only what I
      want?

      -SK.
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
        That is very odd behavior. Are you using/requiring any Perl libraries
        which might also 'use SOAP::Lite'? I ask because if a library turns on
        debugging, then it will turn it on for all other scripts also using
        SOAP::Lite.

        > Folks,
        >
        > I've tried this on different machines (WinXP w/ ActivePerl 8xx; Linux
        > w/ Perl 5.8.2; WinXP w/ cygwin perl 5.8.2) with the same result.
        >
        > Whether I just do 'use SOAP::Lite;' or 'use SOAP::Lite +trace =< [qw
        > (fault)];' or any other way... it traces 'all' calls.
        >
        > It's getting annoying now -- my script is almost done, and yet I
        > can't seem to be able to turn off the debugging output. And if I
        > redirect STDERR to /dev/null, I will not be able to use any 'warns'
        > or 'dies' -- at least, they won't be very useful. Redirecting STDERR
        > to a logfile doesn't help much, as it grows rather rapidly.
        >
        > I am using v 0.55 on WinXP ActivePerl and v 0.60 on the other two
        > machines. Any ideas as to how I can silent the trace to only what I
        > want?
        >
        > -SK.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        > To visit your group on the web, go
        > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soaplite/
        > to:soaplite-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        ^byrne :/
      • deepblah
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
          Byrne,

          That was it! I am using SOAP::Data::Builder, and it has 'use
          SOAP::Lite ( +trace => all, maptype => {});' defined in
          .../SOAP/Data/Builder.pm.

          I should've known. Thanks a lot for the pointer.

          -SK.