XML::Parser vs XML::Parser::Lite

  • Duffiana Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , May 16, 2001
      Hi all,

      for ease of deploy, is to possible to force use of XML::Parser::Lite
      instead of XML::Parser with perl 5.005_03 ?

      the doc says it's auto for perl 5.6 but I need to deploy under perl 5.5
      :(

      thanx

      regards,
      duf.
    • Duffiana Jones
      Message 2 of 9 , May 16, 2001
        Paul,

        again thanx for your help and interest.

        the goal is to have a server providing an API allowing asynchronous
        calls (so the need for the SMTP recipients which also act as buffer when
        server side application is not available, for instant when using non
        persistent internet connection), that may be invoked from several web
        plateforms, including perl, java, asp.

        the server application is available as a java servlet (the SOAP endpoint
        is actualy a servlet), using Apache SOAP (under Apache/Tomcat). the site
        of partnair choosed for the prototype being written in perl, I needed to
        needed to find a a perl SOAP library for which I can proove enough
        interoperability with apache SOAP. the prototype will definitely use the
        SOAP::Lite library.

        but as you know, the remaining issue is deployment/integration on the
        partnair ISP site, that use perl 5.005 (and that do not allow us root
        access, I'm not even sure we have other service than ftp to deploy).

        I try the solution arun and you indicated and tell you what seems to
        happen.

        best regards,
        duf.

        Paul Kulchenko a écrit :

        > Hi, Duffiana!
        >
        > > > for ease of deploy, is to possible to force use of
        > > XML::Parser::Lite
        > > > instead of XML::Parser with perl 5.005_03 ?
        > > >
        > > > the doc says it's auto for perl 5.6 but I need to deploy under
        > > perl 5.5 :(
        >
        > Arun gave you correct advice how to do it, but the problem is that
        > though features I'm using should work on Perl 5.005_03, my tests
        > showed strange result for XML::Parser::Lite, so I put the check for
        > Perl 5.6 there. You MAY definitely try, but run test suite to be sure
        > you have a correct behavior. Specifically, you need to comment out
        > line with
        >
        > die __PACKAGE__, " requires Perl v5.6\n" unless $^V && $^V ge
        > v5.6.0;
        >
        > in XML::Parser::Lite package and specify:
        >
        > $SOAP::Constants::DO_NOT_USE_XML_PARSER=1;
        >
        > somewhere before actual method call, but after 'use SOAP::Lite';
        >
        > I planned it basically for 5.6 on WinCE, yet can see other
        > applications where it can be useful. Just cusious, why do you need
        > it?
        >
        > Best wishes, Paul.
        >
        > --- Arun Kumar U <u_arunkumar@...> wrote:
        > > You might have to set $DO_NOT_USE_XML_PARSER to 1 in package
        > > SOAP::Constants and also comment out the perl version checking
        > > that is being done in compile() in XML::Parser::Lite (the die()
        > > call).
        > >
        > > Hope that helps !! (and also hope that I am right :-))
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Arun
        > >
        > > On Wed, 16 May 2001, Duffiana Jones wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi all,
        > > >
        > > > for ease of deploy, is to possible to force use of
        > > XML::Parser::Lite
        > > > instead of XML::Parser with perl 5.005_03 ?
        > > >
        > > > the doc says it's auto for perl 5.6 but I need to deploy under
        > > perl 5.5
        > > > :(
        > > >
        > > > thanx
        > > >
        > > > regards,
        > > > duf.

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Duffiana Jones
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2001
          Paul Kulchenko a écrit :

          > Hi, Duffiana!
          >
          > > but as you know, the remaining issue is deployment/integration on
          > > the
          > > partnair ISP site, that use perl 5.005 (and that do not allow us
          > > root
          > > access, I'm not even sure we have other service than ftp to
          > > deploy).
          > That should not be a problem. You may compile XML:Parser for the same
          > system your ISP uses, ftp it there and specify 'use lib ...'
          > directive that points to the place where you put XML::Parser. Then
          > you may follow advice from Cookbook "Install SOAP::Lite in a custom
          > directory" and you should be able to use SOAP::Lite there.

          I read the cookbook but I'm not sure the CPAN module will work from the
          ISP site : even on my workstation I had some troubles using CPAN, and
          ended by install the soft manualy.

          what I'm actualy doing is trying to build all the libs on my worstation
          (I know the ISP runs linux, so I may not encounter binary
          incompatibility for the modules that use some C code), copy the
          directory on the target, and lauch script using perl -I
          long_list_of_dirs short_script.pl. In fact, I would prefer to use perl
          code to add my long_list_of_dirs in the lib, but don't know how to do
          this.

          I will tell you more further.

          best regards,
          duf.

> [...]
          > > > v5.6.0;
          > > >
          > > > in XML::Parser::Lite package and specify:
          > > >
          > > > $SOAP::Constants::DO_NOT_USE_XML_PARSER=1;
          > > >
          > > > somewhere before actual method call, but after 'use SOAP::Lite';
          > > >
          > > > I planned it basically for 5.6 on WinCE, yet can see other
          > > > applications where it can be useful. Just cusious, why do you
          > > need
          > > > it?
          > > >
          > > > Best wishes, Paul.

          > > under

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > > ---------------------~-~>
          > > Become a member FREE at http://www.searchdatabase.com?Offer=yahoo5
          > > today.
          > > Save time finding the best Database Development and
          > > Management information available on the Internet.
          > > Our targeted search engine and dedicated editorial staff "cut out
          > > the clutter" by aggregating the best links and the most relevant

        • Arun Kumar U
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2001
            Hi,

            Message 5 of 9 , May 16, 2001
              Hi, Duffiana!

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 9 , May 16, 2001
                Hi, Duffiana!

                In fact, if you have Perl 5.005 and don't have XML::Parser, then you
                ONLY need to specify $^V variable to trick XML::Parser::Lite and
                don't need to patch/fix it.

                This will work:

                { no strict; $^V = v5.6.0 }

                and don't forget to run t/31-xmlparserlite.t (it doesn't work on
                5.005_03 for me). I have another (unfinished) version that DOES work
                on 5.005, but it's MUCH slower than current.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 16, 2001
                  Hi, Duffiana!

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 16, 2001
                    Hi, Duffiana!

                    use lib 'dir';

                    in your script.pl does the same as

                    perl -I dir script.pl

> [...]

                    > the
                    > > > site
                    > > > of partnair choosed for the prototype being written in perl, I
                    > > > needed to
                    > > > needed to find a a perl SOAP library for which I can proove
                    > enough
                    > > > interoperability with apache SOAP. the prototype will
                    > definitely
                    > > > use the
                    > > > SOAP::Lite library.
                    > > >
                    > > > but as you know, the remaining issue is deployment/integration
                    > on
                    > > > the
                    > > > partnair ISP site, that use perl 5.005 (and that do not allow
                    > us
                    > > > root
                    > > > access, I'm not even sure we have other service than ftp to
                    > > > deploy).
                    > > >
                    > > > I try the solution arun and you indicated and tell you what

                  • Philip Molter
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 16, 2001
                      On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 08:03:33PM +0500, Duffiana Jones wrote:
                      : Paul Kulchenko a écrit :
                      : >
                      : > Hi, Duffiana!
                      : >
                      :
                      : I read the cookbook but I'm not sure the CPAN module will work from the
                      : ISP site : even on my workstation I had some troubles using CPAN, and
                      : ended by install the soft manualy.
                      :
                      : what I'm actualy doing is trying to build all the libs on my worstation
                      : (I know the ISP runs linux, so I may not encounter binary
                      : incompatibility for the modules that use some C code), copy the
                      : directory on the target, and lauch script using perl -I
                      : long_list_of_dirs short_script.pl. In fact, I would prefer to use perl
                      : code to add my long_list_of_dirs in the lib, but don't know how to do
                      : this.
                      :
                      : I will tell you more further.

                      You need the expat C libraries to use XML::Parser. If you're going to
                      compile things on your own system and move them over, before you do so,
                      make sure that your architecture is the same as the Linux server
                      they're running and that you've got compatible libraries for common
                      libs like stdio. See if they have expat installed already (most systems don't come with it by default). Compile your expat libs and your XML::Parser module, then move them over. Specify the directory location for the expat libs in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. Use the 'use lib' statement to specify your location for XML::Parser.

                      'perl -I' does not add C-library search paths. -I only pushes the
                      given directories onto @INC, and @INC only tells Perl where to look for
                      Perl modules. You can also achieve the same effect by setting your
                      PERL5LIB environment variable to the directories (separated by a ':').
                      The difference is that PERL5LIB direcoties will be unshifted on to
                      @INC, so they'll be searched first. You can specify these variables in
                      your web server conf with SetEnv (if you have access).

                      If not, just use 'use lib'.

                      XML::Parser is one of the more difficult modules to compile on one
                      machine and then move to another.

                      * Philip Molter
                      * DataFoundry.net
                      * http://www.datafoundry.net/