Re: [soaplite] Passing Java complex types to server from SOAP::Lite

  • Tim Wood
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 23, 2003
      At 09:53 AM 12/20/03, you wrote:
      >I would suggest you create some handy constructor methods for each complex
      >type. This is a temporary solution until wsdl2perl is released - at which
      >point this will all be done for you automagically.

      Byrne,
      Sorry for the delay in replying, and thanks for the info. It will take me a bit to fully apprehend it; the framework seems to be shifting a bit. By "handy constructor[s]", I assume you mean in Perl. I'm still figuring out how to define the Perl object to have named members that the SOAP serializer can then translate into the right SOAP doc. It seems a nub of the problem is that the Java side wants to be told what data goes into what Java class member, but Perl doesn't have named class members per se. Or maybe it's not that strict; I don't have a handle on the true requirements each side has on the SOAP messages.

      Thanks,
      Tim
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2003
        By a constructor in this sense, I don't mean one in the Java sense. The
        idea is that you have somekind of subroutine that can construct a simple
        SOAP::Data object ad return it to the caller. It just makes code a little
        simpler and easier to read is all. :)

        But Java will work, but you have to construct complex types manually - for
        the very reason you specified - Perl doesn't have named object parameters
        per se - and thus it is difficult for Perl to know how to serialize the
        Object without a little help from a custom serializer - which is not that
        trivial to write. It took me a long time how to figure it out when working
        on wsdl2perl.

        There are plennty of code samples on majordojo.com/soaplite that will
        instruct you on creating complex types - I encourage you to take a look.

        > At 09:53 AM 12/20/03, you wrote:
        >>I would suggest you create some handy constructor methods for each
        >> complex
        >>type. This is a temporary solution until wsdl2perl is released - at which
        >>point this will all be done for you automagically.
        >
        > Byrne,
        > Sorry for the delay in replying, and thanks for the info. It will take me
        > a bit to fully apprehend it; the framework seems to be shifting a bit. By
        > "handy constructor[s]", I assume you mean in Perl. I'm still figuring out
        > how to define the Perl object to have named members that the SOAP
        > serializer can then translate into the right SOAP doc. It seems a nub of
        > the problem is that the Java side wants to be told what data goes into
        > what Java class member, but Perl doesn't have named class members per se.
        > Or maybe it's not that strict; I don't have a handle on the true
        > requirements each side has on the SOAP messages.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Tim

        ^byrne :/