Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite and Proxies

  • Randy J. Ray
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
      > So I have added this line to my script:
      >
      > SOAP::Lite->proxy('http://soap.genome.ad.jp:80',
      > proxy => ['http' => 'http://wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk:8080']);
      >
      > 'http://soap.genome.ad.jp:80' is the service I am trying to connect to and
      > http://wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk:8080 is my proxy - and the script still times out
      > with the message:
      >
      > Service description 'http://soap.genome.ad.jp/KEGG.wsdl' can't be loaded: 500
      > Can't connect to soap.genome.ad.jp:80 (connect: timeout)

      This is a subtle but nasty bug you've found, here. One I never noticed while
      writing the book, nor do I imagine Paul himself has come across it.

      If you set the proxy the way you're supposed to for ordinary calls, that same
      proxy *isn't* used when SOAP::Lite tries to fetch the service WSDL description
      itself.

      This doesn't explain why your environment variable isn't helping, though. Is
      the service running under a different UID, like, say, the webserver?

      Randy
      Randy J. Ray Campbell, CA http://www.rjray.org rjray@...

      Silicon Valley Scale Modelers: http://www.svsm.org
    • michael watson (IAH-C)
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
        >This is a subtle but nasty bug you've found, here. One I never noticed while
        >writing the book, nor do I imagine Paul himself has come across it.
        >
        >If you set the proxy the way you're supposed to for ordinary calls, that same
        >proxy *isn't* used when SOAP::Lite tries to fetch the service WSDL description
        >itself.
        >
        >This doesn't explain why your environment variable isn't helping, though. Is
        >the service running under a different UID, like, say, the webserver?

        Ummm, I am not sure what you mean. The service, 'http://soap.genome.ad.jp/KEGG.wsdl',
        is running at a remote server and is not within my control....
      • michael watson (IAH-C)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
          I am both amazed, overjoyed and disappointed at the same time ;-)
          This line in my perl script solved my problem:

          $ENV{HTTP_proxy} = "http://wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk:8080";

          Note that HTTP is in capitals. If i put it in lower case, it won't work.

          A rather odd little feature.... :-)

          Thanks
          Mick