Re: [soaplite] Re: on_fault

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 13, 2001
      Hi, Ray!

      That is perfectly right and I understand it, but for several reasons
      default value was chosen as die on transport and return fault on SOAP
      errors. You may easily alter this behavior (you may even specify it
      once for ALL objects in your code with GLOBAL SETTINGS), but there is
      no one-size-fit-all solution.

      I thought about doing styles, so you can choose for example, die
      style and I'll install handler for you, or warning style or error
      code style or whatever, but i think it's too complicated conception.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Ray Rizzuto
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 14, 2001
        Paul,

        There's no perfect solution to error handling since it depends so
        much on the application. In my case, I am choosing to treat
        transport errors as non-fatal in the belief that they can be
        retried. Application errors (faults?) hopefully don't happen, but
        when they do they probably require manual intervention.

        I think I can almost get the behavior I want with an appropriate
        on_fault handler. I have a few questions/suggestions:

        1) could you give more details on the parameters passed to the fault
        handler? And also what the fault handler can return and how that is
        used? It seems that what it returns is returned to the failed call,
        but I'm not positive.

        2) in one of the examples you provide, you are creating a new
        SOAP::SOM to return from the fault handler:

        use SOAP::Lite
        on_fault => sub { my($soap, $res) = @_;
        eval { die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail : $soap->transport-
        >status };
        return ref $res ? $res : new SOAP::SOM;
        };

        If I could set the fault values in this new SOM, I would be able to
        address errors uniformly after the original call. Or am I
        misunderstanding this code?

        3) in the above code, on a transport error @_ has 2 entries, but the
        second one seems to just have an empty string. Is that the defined
        behavior for a transport error?

        Ray

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2001
          Hi, Ray!

          --- Ray Rizzuto <ray.rizzuto@...> wrote:
          > There's no perfect solution to error handling since it depends so
          > much on the application. In my case, I am choosing to treat
          Unfortunately not only. It may depend on Server implementation also,
          though I tried hard to hide these details from you.
          Several situations are possible:
          1. 200 OK + SOAP message (normal result)
          2a. 500 Server Error + error message (not SOAP)
          2b. 400 Bad Method + error message (not SOAP)
          2c. 510 Not Extended + error message (not SOAP)
          3a. 500 Server Error + SOAP message (Fault result)
          3b. 400 Bad Method + SOAP message (Fault result)
          4. 200 OK + SOAP message (Fault result)

          2c will be handled by SOAP::Lite automatically (you won't see it, as
          well as redirect from server).
          3b and 4 are not allowed according to current spec., though there was
          long debates about using 1 and 4 instead of 1 and 3a.

          > 1) could you give more details on the parameters passed to the
          > fault handler? And also what the fault handler can return and how
          > that
          > is used? It seems that what it returns is returned to the failed
          > call, but I'm not positive.

          First, on_fault will be called unless transport returned success.
          on_fault accepts two parameters: SOAP::Lite object and deserialized
          result (exactly as you would get it after $soap->mymethod() call).
          You may return this deserialized result or create your own and it'll
          become the result of call.
          In case you returned false (on_fault(sub{})) result of the call will
          be deserialized message as if on_fault wasn't call at all (no error
          handling).

          > 2) in one of the examples you provide, you are creating a new
          > SOAP::SOM to return from the fault handler:
          >
          > use SOAP::Lite
          > on_fault => sub { my($soap, $res) = @_;
          > eval { die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail : $soap->transport-
          > >status };
          > return ref $res ? $res : new SOAP::SOM;
          > };
          >
          > If I could set the fault values in this new SOM, I would be able to
          > address errors uniformly after the original call. Or am I
          > misunderstanding this code?
          No, you're not. You cannot assign it, but you may create new SOM
          object as result of deserialization:

          use SOAP::Lite
          on_fault => sub { my($soap, $res) = @_;
          eval { die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail : $soap->transport->status
          };
          return ref $res ? $res :
          $soap->deserializer->deserialize(
          $soap->serializer->fault('Server.Transport',
          $soap->transport->status));
          };

          print SOAP::Lite->proxy('http://localhost/')->mymethod->faultstring;

          > 3) in the above code, on a transport error @_ has 2 entries, but
          > the
          > second one seems to just have an empty string. Is that the defined
          > behavior for a transport error?
          There should be deserialized message (if you got Fault response) OR
          content of the message (if message couldn't be deserialized, for
          example HTML code or some string with error message), so if you check
          and there is not refrence, you can be sure that it's pure transport
          error (and not SOAP Fault).

          Hope it helps.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2001
            Paul,

            In your list of errors, I don't see the case I'm experiencing, which is a timeout:

            500 Can't connect to pc-rizzuto-p:9999 (Timeout)

            In that case, what should I get as the second parameter to the fault handler?  In the debugger, @_ has length 2, and print $_[1], but print ref $_[1] returns an empty string.  Is that because the content of the response is empty?

            Ray

            P.S.  Thanks for the information on using $soap->deserializer->deserialize to create a SOM with the appropriate fault information in it.  I would never have been able to figure that out by myself!

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 14, 2001
              Hi, Ray!

              --- Ray Rizzuto <ray.rizzuto@...> wrote:
              > In your list of errors, I don't see the case I'm experiencing,
              > which is a timeout:
              >
              > 500 Can't connect to pc-rizzuto-p:9999 (Timeout)
              Agree. Fixed list:

              OK Transport + OK SOAP
              1. 200 OK + SOAP message (normal result)

              Error Transport + no SOAP
              2a. 500 Server Error + error message (not SOAP)
              2b. 400 Bad Method + error message (not SOAP)
              2c. 510 Not Extended + error message (not SOAP)
              2d. All other errors

              Error Transport + Fault SOAP
              3a. 500 Server Error + SOAP message (Fault result)
              3b. 400 Bad Method + SOAP message (Fault result)

              OK transport + Fault SOAP
              4. 200 OK + SOAP message (Fault result)

              > In that case, what should I get as the second parameter to the
              > fault
              > handler? In the debugger, @_ has length 2, and print $_[1], but
              > print ref
              > $_[1] returns an empty string. Is that because the content of the
              > response is empty?
              Exactly. ref $_[1] will return empty string even if $_[1] is not
              empty, but doesn't represent any referense and contains plain string,
              like 'abc'. That means that content of message either empty or not
              parsed.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 14, 2001
                Paul,

                I had a minor typo.  In a timeout situation, in the fault handler:

                print $_[1] prints an empty string
                print defined $_[1]  prints 1
                print ref $_[1]  prints an empty string

                Since this is a transport error $_[1] is string, which is why ref $_[1] is empty.  Since the content of the returned message is empty in the case of a timeout, that explains why $_[1] is also an empty string.

                Ray